A Year Out (and then some) How I'm Doing.

Elena22
on 3/28/12 10:12 am
Hello! First of all let me just say that I have terribly missed all of you that I had gotten to know last year and I have no one to blame but myself. lol.

Well I have not updated since I was at the 3 month out mark, and it's high time.  I've been losing weight and out and about enjoying the new life.  I went through some struggles and had a few health set backs though. Totally non surgery related issues had me hospitalized in October of last year. But I was still losing weight and still happy. I lost my job during this time though and so I was dealing with alot of personal issues.  In January I was newly employed and down 90 lbs! I was ecstatic.  Although I have always wanted the DS, I thought "hey as long as I'm losing weight with the VSG, I'm doing ok."  Then this month, in march, with the pressures of the new job, and new schedule, I gained 10 of those lbs back that I had lost. I couldn't even feel happy on my surgiversary b/c I was so disappointed with myself for having gained those lbs back.

However, OH family, I realize the error of my ways.  Yes I was struck with sheer horror and utter dismay at gaining those lbs back, but I know that they came back b/c now that my sleeve doesn't have have the super tight restriction that it once did, I've slipped into some old habits, and foremost, I realized that I had abandoned my OH family. My home where I found others who could relate to my situation, and help and give me the kick in the rear that I need from time to time.  Please, Oh family, welcome me back home. I've missed you all very much.

Right now I am at a crossroads of a decision.  Will I be able to "go back to basics" and get the scale moving down again with my VSG, or should I face facts that "for me" this is as far as the sleeve is going to take me and move forward with phase 2 of the DS?

I would love your feedback, I'm here, back home, posting, reading, lurking, all of the above, once again.

Thank you all for reading.
~ Elena.

Jacksonsgrandma
on 3/28/12 10:24 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 I have noticed that just about everyone calls this a "journey".  There are stops on most journeys, where you get off and take a look around.  But then you get back on the bus, train, plane, etc., and continue to your destination.  That's what we're doing.  We find out that we have to put some effort into weight loss even though we've had WLS.  The further out I get, the more I have to work at it.  I didn't do much in the exercise department until recently.  Back surgery and the extra close to 80# I lugged around made me reluctant to do much.  Now that I'm down a significant amount, I know I'll have to get off of my big butt and MOVE.  The exercise physiologist made it a point of telling me that waiting was good, but now I would have to throttle down and pound it to keep up weight loss when it comes to exercise.  You can only cut calories so much.  Increasing movement will make the difference.  I was on a one month stall and was getting pretty discouraged. But my body must've rearranged itself because all of a sudden I went from 13/14 to 11/12 and lost about 8#.  That gave me much needed incentive again.
Back to basics it is.  And welcome back!  I use OH as my support because it's too far to drive to the support groups my surgeons offer. You can do it and you know it.  We're here for you and we'll hear you as well.  Good luck!

Mickey

bunnymom
on 3/28/12 10:42 am
You can do it, you can do it, you can do it! Repeat 3 times, then start all over again..........your new mantra! Good luck, so glad to see you on here again.
Bunnymom            
Elena22
on 3/28/12 11:03 am
Thanks alot! I appreciate the encouragement. I was exercising a lot last year, I walked 2 miles everyday. But winter set in, and I got comfortable.  But now that spring has sprung, I am getting back into my exercise routine, and hopefully that will get the scale moving again. Hey, 85 lbs. from my highest weight still ain't bad, I couldn't have done that much alone. I just wished it were more at this point.
~ Elena.

katier825
on 3/28/12 6:47 pm
I think you have caught yourself early enough that you can get back on track pretty easy. Are you tracking your food? If not, you should. If you are like most people in a similar situation, your carbs have probably crept up - maybe too much sodium too. See what you have been eating too much of (or not enough - protein? fluids?) Then you know what exactly needs fixing.

You can do it!
ready2sleeve
on 3/29/12 9:00 am - CA
Hey Elena,

Welcome back we were sleeved 2 days apart, and I am 28 away from my first goal, so you can do it, you just have to detox from the carbs and sugars again, get your protein in first, veggies, and your fluids. You didn't make it this far to stop, behaviors are hard to change but they can be changed/modified. If you want anything bad enough you will put your mind to it and get it done.

Carla

Pre-op: 320, SW: 298, CW 194,  Doctors goal 180,  My GW 160   
INgirl
on 3/29/12 9:13 am
Welcome back! I just recently returned myself since I was missing some folks!

Only you can answer yourself as far as whether you need to revise to the DS.. Tracking is a habit to stay in, it keeps you aware of all the important stuff. I know for myself I will have to do it for quite some time to come, well into maintenance.. as I am very good at being mindless at times in my life :) especially the rougher times.

So, start there.. see where you are at, and see where you can be comfortable.. and if you find you need to revisit the idea of the DS.. see about that! We need to do whatever we need to do to get (and keep) us healthy!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 254 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views