Sugar

nicoleista
on 4/2/12 11:22 am - MI
VSG on 03/05/12
I thought eating sugar was supposed to make you feel sick but today I caved in and had about two tblsp of a cupcake and I felt fine. It worries me because I really don't want to get back on that sugar ride and already only five weeks out I have tried it.

TheBiscuit
on 4/2/12 11:26 am - TX
 The only time sugar has caused me pain is if it is a liquified form. i.e. ice cream, yogurts, smoothies. It literally goes right through your stomach into your intestine and your intestine does NOT appreciated undigested sugar. On those few attempts, I got had such violent diarrhea and abdominal cramping that I will never attempt any of those foods ever again. That being said, I can eat solid foods that contain sugar and I do not experience these problems. It comes down to solids simply staying in my stomach longer.
VSG: 10-13-2011
SW: 287
CW: 178

BETHC500
on 4/2/12 11:34 am

Today you made a mistake. Try to figure out why you made that mistake and then make a plan for the future to prevent it happening again. We are all on a learning curve. I hate to say this but the sleeve is just a tool. It is not a magic bullet. You had surgery less than a month ago and your pushing the envelope already? Obesity is about whats in your head that causes your behavior. I think that you may need to look into getting some help to get your head in the game. This surgery is not like RNY where you get violent diarrea when you eat a bad thing. its about helping you control the cravings long enough to redirect your behavior to something more healthy. I wish you well. I hope I was not too harsh.

roundater
on 4/2/12 11:36 am - Lincoln, NE
A little sugar occassionally will probably not hurt you. Just not good to make a habit of it. I have not had issues with sugar other than watching the calories,
Rich Sonderegger

stephintexas
on 4/2/12 11:40 am

I can eat anything. i have to choose not to. My sleeve has no rejects other than buffalo wings.

KathyA999
on 4/2/12 11:58 am
Are you thinking of "dumping syndrome"?  If so, it's far more common in RNY patients, not VSG people, because with the RNY they don't have the functioning pylorus that regulates the food moving into the small intestine.  The RNY's stoma just "dumps" food straight in, so if it's pure hi-carb (and sometimes hi-fat), it triggers a metabolic reaction, and they get sick.  I've heard up to 30% of RNY patients get dumping syndrome.  A very low percentage of VSGers seem to dump also, but no one should ever get VSG expecting to dump.

That said, regardless of dumping syndrome, most people are carb-sensitive, even normies, meaning the more we eat the more we want.  What you call the sugar ride, a great description.  If you can detox for several days from all sugar and refined grains (white flour, white rice), you may find it's easier to stay away from them.  You may need to white-knuckle it for a while, but it'll be worth it.

I've indulged occasionally, and I've found that a bite or two immediately behind my main meal doesn't trigger the cravings, probably because it doesn't spike blood sugar.  You may find that works for you as well, later on, when you've got some good loss under your belt (literally, LOL!).  Until then I would recommend you avoid sugar and refined grains.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Shagdoll
on 4/2/12 1:49 pm
2 spoonfuls of anything sugary like cupcakes or cookies is about my limit before my sleeve gets pissed at me and I start to feel crappy. But it's enough for me to want to stay away. Plus, I'm not at goal yet so I want to use that as an excuse to not test my limits.
nicoleista
on 4/5/12 6:01 am - MI
VSG on 03/05/12
Thank you so much for sharing! I guess I wanted to try it to see what would happen and also all the smells from the kids b-day party got to me. I don't think this is indicative of me having a "problem" perse' but rather an opportunity to learn about my new body and its limits. I do work with a therapist so will talk to her about this for sure. I guess I had hoped for my stomach to object to that I would have a physical limit established in the future. Thank you all so much for your support!

Most Active