The Gluttony Gene

happiegirl
on 4/19/12 12:39 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
I was watching a show called the Doctors this morning and they were talking about this.  I guess basically there can be something in the genetic code that makes you keep eating past full.  What the hell?!  I know I have that! Anyway I was wondering if any of you are the type to eat past full?  How has VSG changed that for you?  You can still eat past full with VSG.  I know I've heard that VSG doesn't get rid of "head hunger."  I'm starting to think this "head hunger" comes from this Gluttony Gene.   So if that's the case...how is it causing so many people to lose?

HW: 351 Pre-op: 272  Current: 140.7 Goal:160      M1:14 M2:14  M3:11  M4:10 M5:10  M6:12  M7:8  M8:6 M9: 6 M10:7 M11: 6 M12: 4 M13: 5 M14:7 M15: 4 M16: 3 M17: 1   M18: 4

"Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it." - Gandhi

Terry H.
on 4/19/12 12:44 am
 Mmmmm gluttony gene...sounds yummy!

I'm doing pretty good with head hunger.  I think it has to do with staying low carb as I have had terrible carb cravings in the past.  It is hard to guage in retrospect because my head is starting to see my current portions as pretty reasonable, but it seems that I was somewhat blind to the quantity that I was putting down at least at sometimes in the past.  If there is a gluttony gene, I'm pretty sure I have it.

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

Missy30
on 4/19/12 12:55 am
VSG on 06/27/12
Yeah if there is a Gluttony Gene I probably have it too.  I don't have the vsg until the end of June so idk if it helps with the Gluttony Gene or not.  I do know that I have lost lots of weight in the past and after it became routine and I got past the detox stage of sugars and carbs and the headaches went away I could stick to it and lose weight. Then the problem would be a slip here a slip there a lil stress here a lil stress there and I would start eating the wrong things then the amounts got bigger and bigger.  It def has a lot to do with head hunger. Great post I cant wait to see what the ones that have had the vsg have to say about this Gluttony Gene.

debk21
on 4/19/12 1:11 am - Mansfield, TX
OMG!  I soooo have this gene, along with the "lazy" gene.  Soooo, when I was obese, I was too lazy to do anything but walk to the refrigerator.  Losing the weight really helps to counteract both of those silly genes.  Now I have "skinny jeans" lol!  I did eat past full before, but now that I weigh all my food - cuz I do NOT trust my head for portion control - I'm fighting that gluttony.  You just have to take control of it and make the right choices.  For me, that's weigh everything and choose the low carb stuff to keep the cravings at bay.  Good "food for thought" on this post!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Mom4Jazz
on 4/19/12 1:23 am, edited 4/19/12 1:26 am
Eating past full can be pretty uncomfortable with the VSG. A couple of cases of foamies will train that right out of you. I don't think this and head hunger are the same thing. Eating past full to me equates to my habit of eating until it was gone no matter how much it was. Give me a bowl of pasta, I'd eat it all. Give me a bowl of pasta and a bread basket...eat it all. Give me a bigger bowl of pasta, a bread basket and an appetizer...well you get the picture. I just didn't have an "enough" signal.

Edit to add: this is why measuring your food out and putting the rest away before you eat is so important. You'll want to eat all that's there. This is a good habit to break, but in the meantime make sure that what's there is the right serving size.

While eating past full involves a faulty "stop eating" signal, head hunger and cravings involve things other than true hunger triggering your "start eating" signal. It can be smells, seeing certain foods, moods...whatever triggers you to start eating when you're not physically hungry.

For me personally, head hunger and cravings were triggered in three ways (other people have other ways).

First is using food for a purpose it was never intended - comfort when mad or sad, companionship when lonely, amusement when bored, celebration when happy and all-around social lubricant. I found therapy helped with that piece.

Second is being triggered by the blood sugar roller coaster. I find avoiding simple carbs helps with that one.

Third is the presence of certain foods I find triggery. If they're in the house they call my name and I think about them way too much. Even if I resist and don't eat them, it's just not worth the hassle to have them around.

The sleeve isn't magic. It doesn't, despite what many people think, make losing the weight easy. What my sleeve did was make losing the weight possible where it hadn't been before.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

angel22z
on 4/19/12 1:27 am - FL
I have this as well I think... If you over eat with the sleeve you get uncomfortably full, a pain in the chest and regurgitate the excess. It is basically aversion therapy. You do not get that "full satisfied feeling" it is acctually uncomfortable and almost painful in your chest instead of stomach area. after doing that a couple of times you will choose to eat slower so you can pay attention to when you are full (it helps to maesure too.)
SW: 288 CW: 231 GW: 145 Surg Wt: 268        
(deactivated member)
on 4/19/12 1:29 am
I CANNOT eat past full with my sleeve. Just doesn't exist. I "COULD" if I wanted to throw up, feel like i was having a heart attack and be miserable for an hour. Now when i get full I stop. It's a dream come true, I love my sleeve!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views