Weight Lifting

zeke
on 4/25/12 4:18 pm - Dunlap, TN
I'm worried about losing muscle mass after surgery.  Weight training would help with that.  Can anyone suggest a weight training circuit plan to use?
ND2BTHN
on 4/25/12 8:51 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 You should be allowed to begin weight training after 6 weeks, for small muscles like your arms but most doctors make you wait 3 months before you can truly begin strength training. I bought a cheap home gym. It serves what I need for now. I also have an eliptical machine from years of trying to loose and a newer addition of a cheap treadmill. I rotate my cardo with my weight training. I also love using my weighted stability exercise ball. I can do sit ups on it much more affectively than on the floor, and it uses various muscles that my home gym can not. I also got an x-factor by Weider that fits on a door, and uses various weighted pullys. I was so excited to use it, but found it didn't fit on any doors, so I haven't been able to use it yet. Great concept, just bad design. 

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
Somayeh
on 4/25/12 9:13 pm - Fountian Valley, CA
VSG on 05/09/12
 I didn't realize weight training was 3 months out. I was planning to start about a month out. Good information!

Thanks,
Somayeh
Defining success by behaviors, feelings and NSVs!        
loverofcats
on 4/25/12 11:35 pm
There are exercise DVD's, but I go to a gym and use their equipment. If you go to a gym, they will often have circuit training classes using weight machines. Also, a session with a trainer would help to set you up with a program and show you how to use weights with good form, which is crucial to not injuring yourself.

I started weight training at about 3.5 months out. It was the best thing that I did. I have added some muscle mass and feel so much stronger. When I first started, I was very weak, so we started with balance exercises and worked up from there. I couldn't do one pushup or situp, so I have come a long, long way. I still have loose skin, but it would be so much worse, if I didn't have some muscle underneath.

Good luck!!!
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 352 views