To My PostOp Family - Traveling

Saukratees
on 5/9/12 8:50 pm - GA
VSG on 11/14/12
 Do you find it difficult to eat properly when you are traveling?  What are some ways you deal with this?

~ Merci
Jackie00
on 5/9/12 9:01 pm
I was away for two weeks on a vacation, so other then my protein shakes I was eating restaurant food for every meal. So in 14 days when I got home I was up 3 lbs I looked at this like crap because in two weeks I should have been down about 3-5 lbs. I lost the 5 lbs instantly over 4-5 days, most likely it was sodium. I stuck to plan mostly but did have a alcohol drink maybe once per day and I did have some treats as well but not enough to put me over my daily calories I don't think. It is hard going on vacation that is all I can say. Temptations at the all inclusive resort were always there and I did pretty well, I did eat a few lunches that were nachos though but with chili on them and some cheese sauce. I just didn't feel like eating so soon a few times when the rest of the family went and my baby was sleeping so held off until I could get the baby up to eat as well and by then the restaurant was closed and had to go to the beach area to get something. My fridge didn't get drinks very cold so making milk ahead of time or having a cold protein shake was out of the question unless I brought my shaker cup to the restaurant with me for cold water but their meat was good so no complaints there.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

debk21
on 5/10/12 12:28 am - Mansfield, TX
Whenever I go out of town (going this weekend), I plan, plan, plan & pack my own stuff.  Bring what you need.  Don't rely on anybody else (if you're going to someones house) to have what you need in their pantry.  I'll be bringing, premade protein shakes, protein bars, portioned out almonds, portioned (weighed and put in a ziploc) beef jerky, greek yogurt & string cheese.  I'll eat whatever meat is available and go with my own snacks/shakes.  That's how I do it.  Hope that helps.  This will also work for business travel as you'll probably have a fridge/microwave in ur room.

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

disneyfan551
on 5/10/12 12:47 am - Great Smoky Mountains, NC
VSG on 05/07/12
I will be going on vacation about 3.5 weeks post-op and have been quite worried about this myself.  I will just be starting the mushie stage.  Any advice appreciated!
comeundone
on 5/10/12 1:31 am - OH
I would suggest bringing instant oatmeal packets and some powdered protein both can be brought on a airplane.Finding yogurt is easy.If you are going on a cruise you can claim medical necessary to bring extra water( we brought 2 cases)We did not need documentation but it might help.
HW 289  SW 242

comeundone
on 5/10/12 1:21 am - OH
no not really, it was really hard in Europe though(seems like all they eat is bread) but I do what I do when eating with my family if I was out for breakfast I get eggs,sausage(I asked for turkey if they have it) and gave my toast to someone at my table, I look for grocery stores to buy protein shakes along the way(if you see vitamin shop they sell cold ones) I eat appetizers like wings,order from kids menu(cracker barrel states on its menu Any age) and I recommend printing out the restaurant card.http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/RestaurantCard.html
HW 289  SW 242

emelar
on 5/10/12 1:27 am - TX
Nope.  I carry protein powder (individually packaged in snack sized baggies) and make protein coffee; protein bars; beef jerky (100 calorie sized bags); roasted edamame; tuna or chicken in pouches.  That's all "emergency" food.  For the most part, I don't have a problem finding something sleeve-friendly at restaurants.  Almost everyone has grilled chicken, some sort of fish/shrimp and some veggies.

It's certainly more difficult when you're on mushies.  I don't have any suggestions for that one except for protein powder.
kam0520
on 5/10/12 2:19 am - AL
We (my hubby and I) have only been on vacation once since surgery, and we PIGGED OUT, we didn't eat properly at all.  We ate a ton of junk, but always made sure to eat protein first, so that helped.  You have to allow yourself those little pig outs every now and then, but make sure you get back on track.  Try to take some "good" snacks with you that will help.  
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 91 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views