One year surgiversary...a month and a half late

wildfan
on 5/28/12 12:37 am
So April  was my one year anniversary.  Things are going great with the WLS.  Never vomited, no nausea once I left the hospital, and I am down a total of 156 pounds as of this morning.  I have hit a high of 161 lost, but have been kind of stuck in a rut since the first of the year.  I have been eating right for the most part, but an old injury flared up and I have been unable to exercise at all since the first of the year.  I injured my back years ago, and managed it with therapy.  Unfortunately it deteriorated significantly the last year, and in January I finally had a steroid injection, another in February, and another in March that all failed.  Finally in the end of March I had surgery, severely reinjured it a week later, and had surgery again the middle of April.  I am now on the road to recovery and feeling great.  I have walked over fifteen miles in the last 5 days.  Some days I walk 2-3, other days 5-6. Through the injury and surgeries, I was down a little and my eating focus deteriorated.  Still eating proper volumes, but grazing off and on, mostly out of boredom.  Had my 1 year with the doc, and told them I was disappointed in my recent weight loss.  They told me they think 3+ months of maintaining my weight with no exercise at all is outstanding.  

Anyway, I am exercising again, and refocused my eating, and hoping to see the weight start falling again.  I have between 44 and 94 pounds left to lose, depending on whose goal I use.  Dr gave me an end goal of 200-225, my personal goal is 175-200 (which he said may be a bit aggressive).  As of this morning I am at 269.  With a start weight of 425, I am thrilled with the results to this point.

To anyone considering this surgery....DO IT.  Best decision I ever made.  My doc told me at EVERY SINGLE APPOINTMENT pre-op "this surgery is not a miracle cure for weight loss.  It is a tool.  Just like any tool, you need to use it properly to succeed."  They pounded that into my head, and  it could not have been more true.  The sleeve works...amazingly.  But I can eat around it if I want to.  But it makes it so much easier to behave, because I get full, even a year out, on between 1/2 cup and 1 cup of food.  My typical breakfast is one scrambled egg with a few bacon bits in it and a slice of cheese.  Sometimes I will eat it on a half a piece of whole wheat flat bread, other days plain.  I fini**** about 3/4 of the time, and I think it is about 1/2 cup total without the bread, and about 3/4 cup with.  Typical lunch is a 1/4 pound burger patty with a slice of cheese, or a flatbread sandwich with meat and cheese.  Again, a 1/4 pound burger patty with cheese is about 3/4 cup, and the sandwich about the same.  I can finish those about 3/4 of the time.  Typical dinner is a 3oz fish filet, or a 1/2 cup of lean ground beef (bbq, taco, plain) with a little cheese, or a hotdog, and sometimes a yogurt.  I know many NUTs say snacks are a no-no.  Mine says they are ok, but ONLY if I am very hungry, and only small, smart snacks.  They encourage a glass of milk, string cheese, small serving of nuts, fruit, protein shake, protein bar, etc.  My snacks usually consist of what is on that list.  I use low carb Atkins bars pretty regularly.  Typical daily intake for me is 900-1,200 calories, 80-120 oz of water, 20-24 oz milk, and 70-90 g protein.

Anyway, sorry for the long post.  Just wanted to say hi as I haven't been visiting here like I should.  Between work, surgeries, city council duties, school (graduated 4.0 in March, and started double MBA in April), kids activities, etc, I have very little time.  

Last but not least...THANK YOU TO ALL VETERANS!!!! 

ib40
on 5/28/12 12:43 am
Congratulations on your tremendous success, even while dealing with medical issues! Back problems are the worst. I'm glad the doctors were able to finally correct the issue.

Two big thumbs up for your tremendous weight loss!!!!

KSqtpie
on 5/28/12 12:52 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Hi there! Congrats on your success with your sleeve. Sounds like you've definitely done well and have the mindset to achieve all your goals. Keep up the great work!

Also, good luck with your recovery from back surgery. I am in the same boat. I am recovering from anterior/posterior lumbar fusion (L4-S1). I'm 8 weeks out today and feeling pretty great. Just walking a LOT and trying to eat as healthy as possible so the fusion sets and everything heals quickly. I'm not sleeved yet because this injury caused me to cancel my surgery, but I'm rescheduled for July 9th. Getting the weight off will definitely help take pressure off the injured area. Good luck to you and stay positive!
judyk62
on 5/28/12 3:09 am - Santa Rosa, CA
 Hey-no apologies! I love reading your post. What a great example and motivator for the rest of us! Boy, the back issues sound tough; mine have been knee issues which can't compare. But the fact that you have stayed the course through injuries, surgery, and LIFE is very impressive. Please continue to post at least occasionally and let us follow you to goal. Good work!

HW: 284: SW: 274: CW: 152.8. Goal: 159  

mellasmomma0709
on 5/29/12 1:44 am - IL
Wow, Congratulation to you!!! You have done amazing, would love to see a before and after...Keep up the awesome work!!
Loving this new life, just trying to figure it all out and take it all in day by day!!!
wildfan
on 6/2/12 9:14 am
 I'll try and get some pics up soon.

Just on my way back from vacation in Cali.  I set a new personal goal for myself.  Walk greater than 100 miles in the month of June.  Shouldn't be too hard.  That is just over 3 miles a day average.  I walked 7-8 yesterday, and 4-6 today (still have to verify on Google the exact distances).  But with 2 days down, I already have at least 11 in, and might be closer to 14-15.  I LOVE MY SLEEVE

Kabooboo
on 6/2/12 12:01 pm
You are an inspiration! I am using the same surgeon for my VSG on the 28th of June.

Most Active