X POST re: diabetic neuropathy medications

1crazy_cat_lady
on 5/29/12 2:20 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
The diabetic forum doesn't appear to be as active as here so I thought I'd cross post in hopes of finding an answer!  Thanks for understanding.

I've been a diabetic for years on insulin for the last few of them. I have neuropathy but strangely enough when I wasn't controlling my sugars it didn't bother me. I've completely changed my eating in prep for surgery (no date yet) and since I'm managing my numbers the burning and tingling in the evening makes me want to scream. I am aware that people take different medications but is there something you can take "as needed" versus daily? I'm already on a slew of pills and would prefer to have something for when I just can't deal with the pain. Thanks!

HW: 361  CW: 337.8  Goal:  To come off most of my meds

Ohiogirl
on 5/30/12 5:31 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 I've been watching to see if you get any answers as my husband is suffering right now with terrible burning in his feet - he has been diabetic for 7 years (that we know of).  Dr recommended a combo of ALA and B vitamin complex - but that takes awhile to kick in.  Pharmacist recommended the store version of Neurogen  - it's a homeopathic oil and you put a few drops in hand and massage into area that is causing burning.  When he uses it - it does help - you can use it up to 4 times a day.  Not really much else you can do - he has even resorted to a half of vicodin when it is really burning - just to take the edge off.  

Hope this helps because I know it must be terribly uncomfortable.  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 165 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 441 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views