Low ferritin but no anemia?

ib40
on 6/6/12 4:11 am
For the past four years at least, I have had an issue with my stored ferritin levels. My hemoglobin and other CBC levels are fine, but my stored ferritin is practically nonexistent.

I think (please chime in if I'm wrong), that the lowest normal reading of ferritin (stored iron) is 30. Many times in the years before surgery, mine was a ZERO! The docs would say it may make me a little tired but because my blood levels were within normal range, I wasn't considered anemic and they did not prescribe iron supplements.

At my 6-month post-op lab visit, my ferritin was a 3. It was the only low result I had--everything else was excellent. Once again, because my red blood cell count, oxygenation, etc., was within normal limits, no iron was prescribed (different doctor).

I take a multivitamin with iron every day (plus my other supplements--D3, B12, biotin, zinc+C, cranberry extract) and I eat red meat regularly. Nothing seems to help. Has anyone else had an issue like this? What does your doctor tell you may be the cause? At this point, I am willing to compare notes just to come up with some plausible explanations. The different doctors that have pointed this out note it as a concern, but not enough of one to explore further. Just curious what others have learned.

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/12 4:17 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I also have low ferritin but my H&H and iron saturations are high.  I also have hemachromatosis, which is a genetic thing (I found out since I have been tracking my labs and asking questions).

I started taking Proferrin ES which is a heme iron and supposed to move our ferritin, and referred myself to a hematologist.  He had me double my proferrin.  I have changed to Ultimate Iron, now, from Vitamin Shoppe to see if it will move my ferritin.

I WOULD BE concerned.  Your ferritin is like your bank account, your stores.  You have checks in the system (H&H) but if you crash, they are going to have to give you infusions, which you could probably already use, quite honestly.  BY the time I saw the hematologist I was up to 10 which is above the point where insurance will pay for infusions.

Waiting for my docs to be concerned, I would end up with possible type 1 diabetes because my body was storing the way too much iron in my blood, destroying my pancreas, while my ferritin was absolute dust. 

One more reason why I really encourage folks to do like you have done, watch your labs yourself.  Sometimes it seems like docs are in "disease management" instead of preventative mode. 

I was able to self refer to a hematologist and he was aghast anyone let me walk around like that.  You might find the same.  Good luck,, friend, and good eye!
ib40
on 6/6/12 4:21 am
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am tearing up just reading your post because you actually "get it"! No one else has ever been able to relate to my concerns before. I'm going to find a hemotologist right now and make an appointment. I've always thought it should be a concern; I never could figure out why no one else did.

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/12 4:25 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
*squeeze*

I get inhumanly pissed off anymore when medical folks go "meh" at something that is obviously NOT RIGHT!!

Are your H&H normal and your saturations normal or high?  Everyone kept telling me that the high saturation was a lab error, well, maybe once, but not 3 times in a row, you know?

*more hugs to you!!*

I am SO PROUD OF YOU!!!  Anymore, I trust my doctors like I trust a teenager, I will take you at face value, but I am sure as **** going to verify!  :} 

I track all my labs in a spreadsheet, so I can take it and all my labs to the doc and say "looka here" and show them the trends.  They can then look at the single sheets if they like, but you cant brush me off when you see a trend right in front of your eyes.

Hooray on you!!
Marabell
on 6/6/12 7:13 am
VSG on 06/07/12
I have the same issue...the docs will see my hemoglobin and say...not anemic...but my MCV and my iron sat. was ridiculous ....the red cells were basically dried up...shrinking....consistently below a nine...averaging a five. I found out that the Nexium I was taking 2x a day for my GERD hsd depleted my stomach acid, thus causing my body to not absorb the iron. Ironically, low acid and too much acid olhave very similiar symptoms. I quit the Nexium...started taking Metagest, which is hydrochloric acid, the very thing they were reducing with the Nexium...talk about frustrating!

This literally took years and several physicians to figure out...I now take ferrous succinate (easier to absorb and gentler on stomach) twice a day...during my menstrual cycle. Otherwise..Im ok.

good luck to you...it is extremely frustrating.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 99 views