When did you stop using you CPAP?

justeric78
on 6/10/12 10:01 am - Houston, TX
I have not gone back yet to have another sleep study done but I know I have not really needed it for the last 6 months although I still put it on every night. I know many of you stopped using yours but did you just know you did not need it or wait to go for the sleep study? I am contemplating trying to not use it tonight but think I want the sleep study before I change permanently. Just so used to using that thing now.

Jaybee766
on 6/10/12 10:11 am - Silver Spring, MD
VSG on 02/27/12 with
I'm still using mine.  My doc ordered an in home sleep study but I just haven't called to set it up.  Some nights I do pull it off now - more then ever before.  I suspect I'm needing it less and less.  I'm about 3 1/2 months post op.
Jeanne 

Height 5'7"   HW: 314     SW: 293

Elaine2
on 6/10/12 10:21 am - Atlanta, GA
I would wait until you have a sleep study. I know you know the dangers of SA so if you're used to the machine I would continue to use it.

I suggested the same to my Dr. ---Why don't I try it for a few nights? (of course, I also know the dangers) and the predictable happened----he read me the riot act...I should know better, dangerous, etc.

Unfortunately, my doc doesn't think I'll be able to dump the machine....too many "structural" issues (story of my life). But we are going to do another study at the end of the summer, I guess.

Hopefully, they can schedule you in quickly for a new test.

Pobearsam7
on 6/10/12 10:55 am
I'm still pre op I was told I need another sleep study before I can dwcontinue it... I hope to get another sleep study before the end of the year
judyk62
on 6/10/12 12:27 pm - Santa Rosa, CA
 I'm still using mine, but not sure I really need it. I  too find myself taking it off during the night more than I ever diid before. But I had "sleep issues" for so many years before finally succumbing to the machine, that I am a little fearful of not using. I saw the sleep NP about 6 weeks ago and she suggestted that the prescription be changed to reduce the pressure and then follow up via the card report to see how I am sleeping at the new level. I'll be taking the card in this week to get a report. I do agree that you shouldn't stop on your own without talking with your doc first.

HW: 284: SW: 274: CW: 152.8. Goal: 159  

Kevin H.
on 6/10/12 12:54 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 I had a sleep study and went from a pressure of 21 down to 18 so I'm no where near ready to not use it and may always need to.  There are skinny people with sleep apnea too :)  Not everyone can just stop using it.

Missey J.
on 6/10/12 1:17 pm - AZ
VSG on 08/27/12
I stopped using my cpap as I tend to cough at night and I would wake up choking so bad it scared me. My lung doc knows and I use CO2 at night now. I dont know if its to strong or what but I cant fall back asleep after I wake up.

Age 53, 5'2", HW 337, Pre OpW 312.5, SW ?, CW 286        
Kevin H.
on 6/10/12 2:45 pm, edited 6/10/12 2:48 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Waking up coughing and choking is probably a sign that you should be wearing it .. 
not the opposite.

Your body is waking itself up to get you to start breathing again.  I would be more scared of NOT wearing it then the coughing that is scaring you.  There is no cure for many of the dangerous conditions that develop with untreated sleep apnea.

Turn the ramp on if its too strong to go back to sleep.  CO2 is carbon dioxide .. you are using that at night?  With leaving your sleep apnea untreated by not using your machine your actually storing high levels of CO2 .. not really sure what you mean by your "using CO2 at night."  Did you mean O2? Oxygen?

Your lung doc may know your not using your machine but that doesnt mean you should.  A cancer doc might know you need chemotherapy too but he cant MAKE you take the treatment for your condition. It is up to us to take responsibility for our health.  Your doctor can only do so much (like provide a cpap machine for you to use.)  

AngieB2011
on 6/10/12 10:08 pm - MD
VSG on 03/19/12
I have a CPAP machine. I rarely use it. I probably should. pre-op I would wake up in the morning full of air. Is that normal? So post-op I was afraid to use it. Didn't want to blow up my sleeve and cause a leak. Come to think about it, I didn't use one in the hospital either.

I think I'm going to use it tonight though and see how it goes.
Most Active