HELP! Need feedback about 5 day pouch test

healthydee2b
on 6/18/12 12:35 am
i'm so unhappy.  at 16 months i was down to 125# and only 5# away from goal.  never made. it.  april 13th i had a kidney stone and gained 5# from the IV fluids.  since then, i've gained and up to 139.6# this morning.  can't stop crying, so depressed & starting to do the stinking thinking and negative head talk and simply MUST NOT.  been reading about the 5 day pouch test but it seems to be mostly for RNY?  does it work for VSG the same way?  if not, is there something similar that we can do?? 

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!  private message me if you have something/anything positive to share. 

thanks in advance.
USAF Wife
on 6/18/12 12:58 am
There is not a really "test" of the 5DPT, all it does is reset your cravings and help you get back on track.

It works the same for anyone, surgery or not. I choose to never do the liquid first 2 days. It takes me right back to crash dieting days and I refuse to torture myself with liquids only.

I go right back to basics, cut carbs, focus on fluid and protein intake.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

healthydee2b
on 6/18/12 3:22 am
thanks so much!  i appreciate your insight.  sorta doing it now, detoxing on carbs today. 

wishing you well on your second pregnancy!  wow!!!  congrats and best wishes.

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/12 1:31 am
Fist of all, stop crying and rejoice!  You were able to catch yourself at only 15 pound regain, only 20 pounds from your goal weight.  Congratulations!  That's fantastic.  I am not being sarcastic, this is really a good sign that you are refusing to play the ostrich and are willing to get back to a good program. 

Although the 5 day pouch test works for many people, I personally, am not a huge fan of it.  I don't really think that it's necessary to do liquid diet, what you really need to do is get back to basics.  This is what I do when my weight goes up. 

This morning, I woke up to 106.2 on my scale.  I prefer to stay in the 103-106 range, but closer to the lower numbers.  So this means that I need to keep an eye on my eating for a bit.  This is what I am planning on doing: 1) I will make my green chicken soup ( found on my profile) and more or less eat it whenever I am hungry for a few days.  I like the flavor and I don't feel deprived when I eat it.  If you don't like it, it is not a requirement of my strategy.  The basic idea is that you need to go back to eating dense lean protein and low carb veggies until goal.  You need to start journaling your food choices and keeping your carbs and calories low.  I like to stay in the 800 range when I am losing now.  You can do this.  I believe in you. 
healthydee2b
on 6/18/12 3:23 am
elina, i really needed your post and the encouragement!  thanks for making me see that i'm still ahead of the game.  i just printed out your soups and am very thankful for those recipes.  making the green chicken soup tonight!  it looks yummm.  thanks for taking the time to help me pull back up.
Carmelita
on 6/18/12 2:01 am - Four Corners, NM
 I have a link to the 5DPT and some caveats in doin it...on 

STALLS and PLATEAUS
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/carmelita/blog/tag/stalls+and+plateaus/

gotta scroll down a bit. I think its best done M-F myself. 

Most Ive lost doin it to a T is 8 pounds in 5 days
Almost always... 5 in 5 days.

Ive done it around 5-6 times now!  Was a time my first year out..we'd do group 5DPTs here, we'd post Day 1, Day 2, etc..it was a blast! Supportin each other, swift kicks in the ...encouragment dept. to stay the course..HA. ahhh those were the days! 

IT IS a BACK TO BASICS...carb detox...for 5 days. It is not no joke, a crash diet.
It was developed by an RNYr but VERY effective for us too! Get that restriction feeling back, carb detox, get into ketosis..fat burning mode again...then slowly reintroducing hi fiber carbs. 

I do want to do it again soon ... but haven't gotten my head into it..yet!
healthydee2b
on 6/18/12 3:25 am
carmelita, thank you!!!  i was hoping someone would say it worked.  i'm seriously considering this.  but, first going to detox again from carbs to see where i go from there.  then, will likely do some form of the 5DPT.  your response helped me feel as if i already have gained control back... the scales are just not showing it yet!!!  :)

appreciate your time in responding. 
Missey J.
on 6/18/12 5:03 am - AZ
VSG on 08/27/12 with
You can do it !

Age 53, 5'2", HW 337, Pre OpW 312.5, SW ?, CW 286        
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views