Preop liquid diet- 6 protein shakes too much?

Kabooboo
on 6/18/12 8:25 am
I started my preop liquid diet today. I want to go low carb. The shakes my NUT and surgeon have on the plan are like Carnation Instant Breakfast- too many carbs for me. I started the day with an Atkins shake, an old favorite. I tried a Go Lean from GNC and really liked it. I had another later in the day. I am supposed to have six shakes a day, but that seems like a lot of protein. Advice? Can you have to many? Should I have some that are lower protein like the Atkins and some higher protein? I plan on having some broth for "dinner" and I've been drinking water and tea as well. I've had carb cravings like I do when I go off carbs, but otherwise I feel good.

julestar160
on 6/18/12 9:12 am
VSG on 06/12/12
 The one is use is Syntrax Matrix and it's 110 calories, 2g carbs with 23g protein per scoop. It's high protein and low carb so it works out great! They should have recommended a few low carb/high protein shakes for you instead of having ou search on your own!

HTH

My vlog: http://www.youtube.com/user/juleslac?feature=guide

Highest weight: 298  Surgery Weight: 291  Current Weight: 231
Weight/Inches lost by time period: M1: 24.4/10.25 M2: 12.6/10.25 M3: 9/8.25

Kelly-AnneH
on 6/18/12 9:49 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
How many grams of protein are in the shakes they recommend? I bet if you make sure you have at least that much you'll be fine.

My pre-op diet requires no more than 30 carb grams and at least 75 of protein. His only real rules other than those are don't be hungry and drink at least 64oz of water.

I admit I'm a bit spoiled. I'm really not suffering at all.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

melanieannd
on 6/18/12 11:19 am - TX
VSG on 06/13/12
How many ounces are the shakes? I was allowed to have 2-8oz shakes per day and one 3oz meal of lean meat. Of course every diet is different. I personally couldn't stand the shakes after drinking 2 ounces, so I started halving them and making 4oz at a time switching to different flavors throughout the day.
comeundone
on 6/18/12 1:38 pm - OH
I used the Atkins and lean gnc ones(still do), I would not worry about too much protein,the carb cravings(headache) will suck but ease up after day 3. 
HW 289  SW 242

Kabooboo
on 6/18/12 1:44 pm
Thanks everyone! My plan calls for using Carnation, Ensure, Boost, etc... 5 or 6 a day. I am using high protein shakes instead. If I drank 6 of them (8 ounces each) I would be over 150 grams of protein, which seems high. I have samples of just about every protein drink out there, so I am going to mix it up. So far I feel really good- from past carb detox I know the 2nd and 3rd day can be the most difficult for carb cravings, and then I feel fine. Going to be now....one day down, 9 more to go until surgery!

califsleevin
on 6/18/12 2:53 pm - CA
It seems odd that they would be using those low protein density drinks that are fairly high in carbs at this stage - typically, those docs that call for pre-op diets want low carbs (whether liquid or solids, or some combination,) to improve the condition of the liver, which gives them more confidence in working around it. Perhaps his desire is to get you used to liquids, so he's calling more for meal replacement drinks than specifically high protein/low carb ones - does he do an extensive (as in weeks to months) liquid diet post op as well - maybe that's what he's breaking you in on?

The most I ever used the protein drinks was maybe a pint a day some days during the first couple of weeks, and sometimes i did/do mix in some of the instant breakfast with the protein powder to broaden the nutritional profile of the drink at the expense of some protein, but that was workable within the context of the daily intake.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Tea
on 6/18/12 1:44 pm - Moore Haven, FL
VSG on 07/11/12
I will be starting my liquid diet next week.

I am going to be doing the labrada lean body shakes. I will having 3 a day. They are 40 gms of protein each.

HW 311 - (pre opt liq diet 272) - SW 264 - CW 196- GW 150

Lovin my
SLEEVE

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 176 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 474 views