Empire Blue cross Blue shield?

susanjean
on 6/20/12 5:07 am - IN
Does anyone have Empire BC/BS?   How long did it take you for approval?  Did anyone have a hard time with his insurance approval?

MeeMiss75
on 6/20/12 7:03 am - Katy, TX
VSG on 06/12/12
I don't know about the Empire part, but yes, I do have Blue Cross Blue Shield. My approval took less than one week once I submitted all of my information. My BMI was 54, so they did not ask for much, lol. They just wanted proof that I had been obese for 3 previous, consecutive years. They asked for documentation of height and weight from a physician to verify that claim. I had no problem coming up with records for 2010 - 2012 but for 2009, I submitted a detailed record of my weight from my days at Quick Weight Loss. All of that together seemed to do the trick. There was no pushback, no followup phone calls for more information/documentation, no review board. I had no problems getting approved because there was a bariatric clause written into the policy. The issue began after approval...in my opinion, they don't pay for very much to me. There's a $5,000 bariatric co-pay that must be met, and a $2,000 out of pocket co-pay as well. Between the $7K that I was responsible for paying, plus additional medical tests that I had to have (a very expensive PET scan for cardiac clearance since I had an abnormal stress test), I felt like a self pay in the end! But yes, you will get approved if you meet the qualifications that your policy sets forth (if your BMI is lower than 40, they will ask for proof of co-morbidities). Best of luck to you. I will say that even though I felt a little light in the wallet once the process was done, I'd do it all over again....and I'm only 2 weeks out! 

Karebare50
on 6/20/12 9:14 am - Troy, NY
I have empire BC/BS and I had no problem getting approved.  I think it may have been a week, really not sure since my doctor's office submitted the info to insurance.  I know I got a call from them with a  confirmation/approval code much sooner than I thought, so that was great.
Karebare50 Dance Like Nobody's Watching!

HW pre-surgery: 248  SW: 236

susanjean
on 6/20/12 9:51 pm - IN
Thank you for responding!! 

Brooke F.
on 7/6/12 5:31 am - CA
 I also have empire bc/bs I was approved in less than 24 hours.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views