Overwhelmed!!

susanjean
on 7/2/12 10:56 am - IN
I went to my final appt with the surgeon, signed the papers and took my nutrition class. My surgery is July 24th.    I am just feeling so overwhelmed,,,,, depressed,  I guess Im just mad at myself for letting myself get this big and now going to the extreme of having surgery because I cant loose weight or gain it all back when I do loose weight.   So many mixed emotions right now.  I guess Im scard that I  have failed all my life with mutiple diets, that i may fail with the sleeve.  Then theres other moments I am 100% eager and look forward to this journey,,,,,,,  I am on a rollercoaster!! 

RidgebackMom
on 7/2/12 11:04 am - Oxnard, CA
VSG on 05/14/12
 If any of s had control of our food issues, we'd never need surgery.  It's not easy accepting the fact that our actions led to this procedure.  But, I for one, am very grateful for the blessing of turning my life and health around.  Many of us had last meals ... Food funerals.  The friend & comfort we found in food actually betrayed us.  We just were too close to see it.  Take each decision one at a time ... 
Highest weight 395#. Surgery weight 325#. VSG on May 14, 2012 with Dr. Amir H. Mehran at UCLA.     Life & challenges are what we make them -- this new beginning is what I make it!

moonglo82
on 7/2/12 11:08 am
VSG on 03/29/12
I understand completely. But at some point, you have to believe that you CAN do this. You may have had some setbacks before, but before did you have a sleeve to help keep you in line while you learned to make better habits?

That's the difference. This is all so much harder when you have a full-sized tummy.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

racemomss
on 7/2/12 11:08 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12
I completely understand what you are feeling. I am waiting on my 2nd consult to sign papers and get my date. Do not be too hard on yourself. It was your past and from your past you will have a great future. When you get on the down slope of the rollercoaster remember how far you have come. It takes great strength to make these changes. Hugs!
Ohiogirl
on 7/2/12 11:45 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
I so totally understand - I am going through the same.  I am self pay - thinking if I had taken better care of myself - I wouldn't have to go into hock to try to get to normal.  I am scared also - am I making the right decision, can I do it, am I worth it - I'm old  - is the pain and trouble worth it?  I'll be watching for your post op posts - good luck.!! 
beckyinkc
on 7/2/12 12:17 pm
VSG on 07/25/12
I think that you're not alone with those thoughts.  I know I've had them myself.  It's gotten a lot better, in my opinion, since I started the nutritionist visits and started making positive changes in my life (kicking the Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper habit, curbing my snackiness, etc).  I feel ready for it because I've started preparing!  Maybe if you start preparing yourself for it, you'll start to feel more excitement and less terror. :)  It's working for me, anyway.

Again, the sleeve is a tool, not a magic fix.  You have to put effort in as well.  And the mindset has to change, as it will only hinder you.  Many people suggest counseling, and I know exactly why.  I'm bad about beating myself up for mistakes, so I know that's one of my biggest issues to work out.  I'm trying to work on it now, and I know firsthand that it's difficult to change that.  And don't waste your energy being mad at yourself for the past.  Just look to the future!

Sorry, that was a bit rambly, but my point is:  You aren't alone!  And hey, I'm being sleeved the day after you! :D  We can keep in touch and support each other!  We can totally do this.  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 90 views