phyc eval tomorrow

clawless89
on 7/4/12 4:03 pm
VSG on 11/20/12
I am excited and nervous at the same time. Excited because this the last thing I need to get done before they send everything into insurance and nervous because I dont know what to expect.

pineview01
on 7/4/12 4:55 pm - Davison, MI
Good Luck.  Relax, no big deal but I know how you feel as anything that stands in your way makes you nervous.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Italian-Princess
on 7/4/12 11:14 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi,

Not sure what your psych eval is going to be like, but mine was a little weird.  The first part was a series of questions regarding my health history and current living situation.  The second part involved answering 175 True or False questions........and that's where it got weird.  Example:  You have cross the Atlantic Ocean more than 30 times this year.......True or False  LOL  There were a few like that.  My favorites were along the lines of "When did you stop beating your wife?" in that there is no good answer!  Example:  Your family has suffered from your repeated use of illegal drugs.........True or False OMG -- I don't use illegal drugs and my family hasn't suffered, yet the question has to be answered!  I thought for sure I would fail that part of the evaluation because I was laughing while I was answering some of these silly questions! 

Not to worry -- just be yourself, answer honestly during the verbal part and try not to let the strange questions make you nutzzz!

You'll do fine............good luck!

Ree
clawless89
on 7/5/12 6:18 am
VSG on 11/20/12
We must have taken the exact same questionaire. It was not bad just glad to get it over with. Now just waiting for insurance to approve to start pre op diet.

AliciaA
on 7/5/12 1:40 am - VA
VSG on 10/31/12
How did it go?

That is so weird, Ree!  My psych eval (on Tuesday) was not like that at all!  It was more or less just a therapy session with some questions about weight and WLS peppered in.  It was pretty good.  I called my surgeon's office this morning to ask a question and they said they'd already received the psychologist's report.  I was shocked!

Alicia

HW: 317     SW: 295    Current Weight: 236    Surgery: 10/31/12

Italian-Princess
on 7/5/12 8:42 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Alicia!

Sometimes I think these psych evals are to weed out whack-a-doodles.  Not that there's anything wrong with being one, of course!  But really........such dopey questions.  Another one was "You have appear on national magazines more than 7 times this year..........True or False"  Well, it was only 6 times, so I answered False!!!  Hahahahaha  

I'm just one week out and I'd be dancing in the streets for how good I feel..........except that it's about 103 degrees out there and I'm such a delicate little thing..........I fear I'll melt!  OMG, you know that's a big old pile of horse puckey, right?  Hahahahaha

Reason for that is to let you know that if you have any reservations, fear not -- this is a great tool and I can't wait until I can start using it fully.  Keep us posted on your decision.........this is a great forum to get help, support, and a butt-kicking if needed! 

Ree
Carmelita
on 7/5/12 10:47 pm - Four Corners, NM
 That MMPI-2  is intended to weed out "whack-a-doodles"...but I think of it 

MORE LIKE A LIE DETECTOR TEST without WIRES!! lmao

how prone we are to exaggerate situations, make ourselves "appear" stable, what kind of coping skills do we possess, are we a defensive type, depressive type, irrational, somatic, underplay attritubes...finds out tons of stuff about us..with all those ridiculous questions

BUT...unless we ARE a "whack a doodle" ..we have met NIH criteria for bariatric surgery!  in other words... we PASS. 

I prefer INTERVIEW for psych eval ...it isn't tedious nor time consuming, as long as we keep it light, and depending on the mental health of the interviewer...we're usually good to go. 

Italian-Princess
on 7/5/12 11:59 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
I love it -- wireless LIE DETECTOR TEST!!!  Wonderful.  I'd have preferred an interview, too.  The short "interview" was too clinical/medical.  After he checked my True/False test answers, he told me what he thought about my mental state.  Uncanny how "spot-on" he was!  At least I passed, and if he DID make a mistake, TOOOOOO FREAKIN' BAD!  I have my sleeve and no one can take it back LOL LOL LOL

BTW, totally enjoy your posts Carmelita!

Ree
Italian-Princess
on 7/5/12 8:48 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
I'm excited for you Clawless!  You're gonna love the sleeve.  Recovery was a snap.  I'm a little slower than some because I also had an umbilical hernia repaired, so my lower tummy is a bit tender, but the sleeve portion is almost not noticeable at all.  I'm an old warhorse, though, and have been through lots of surgeries -- this was the easiest!   Today is my one week out date and I've been cleared for full liquids -- a little behind due to some scheduling snafu, but no problem. 

Waiting for the insurance approval is a PITA.  I was lucky with that, too.  Took only 2 weeks.  I hope yours is as fast!

Let us know what's going on so we can keep track of your progress.  Good Luck!

Ree
clawless89
on 7/5/12 5:05 pm
VSG on 11/20/12
Thank you so much! I am so excited for it and the phycologist said that she thinks it is a great idea. I am hoping insurance comes back pretty soon. Hoping to get my sleeve end of july begining of august. Waiting sucks but will be worth it in the end.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 283 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views