Protein Powder

Michael L.
on 7/6/12 3:43 pm - Fall River, MA
I was at GNC yesterday just browsing to see what's out there in the world of protein and other related things for VSG.

The Clerk was raving about product called Promasil, said all the pro athletes endorse it and it's probably one of the best tasting and he also raved about muscle milk, he said it tasted like cake batter. Any thoughts?

I have some Unjury Samples ive yet to try,

I have posted a few times here now, I am planning on a September Sleeve if all goes as planned with insurance etc. I am trying to lose anout another 30 pounds by then.

Just tryin to be way prepared early so I know what I like. I tend to be very fussy. I'm trying to line up things I like now so I don't have a breakdown after surgery.

Cannot stomach Greek yogurt or cottage cheese or ricotta. Very sensitive gag reflex. Soon as it hits the back of my throat, I vomit. so I'm getting nervous when I see you guys posting that. Any alternatives to that.

hw 500  sw 462  cw 383     

Kelly-AnneH
on 7/6/12 4:00 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
It's worthwhile to gather up some samples, but I have to tell you - some of what you like now will taste gross and some things you hate now will become favourites.

The most useful protein powder for me is unflavoured. I have a huge jar from Costco. It wasn't terribly expensive and has 36 grams of protein per serving. My best way to use it is in broth, where I notice the texture but not the taste. I have several kinds of flavoured whey powder and I pretty much find all of them über sweet and slimy.

I WILL use protein supplements because I need the protein and I don't have the capacity to get as much as I need from food, but it's pretty much a hold your nose and drink it anyway situation.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

DanaSue
on 7/6/12 8:47 pm
I had used Unjury protein since my surgery and the chocolate is really good. I ran out and bought some Pure Protein Frosty Chocolate from Walmart on the recommendation of another and had some last night.  It is way too thick.  I don't like the taste of it and it doesn't mix as well as Unjury.   I'm going back to Unjury, tried and true!

VSG 4-2-12

happyteacher
on 7/7/12 12:02 am
 Bought a large tub of muscle milk from costco- huge mistake.  Finallly figured out I could put it in the coffee and choked it down that way.  Bought a case of RTD muscle milk lite, couldn't choke it down in any form and gave it away.  

Many of us use the RTD premier protein shakes.  You can find them from coscto or sams.

I also use Jarrow unflavored powder because I can turn it into whatever I feel like.  

Don't buy too much of one thing.  What tastes acceptable prior to surgery may gag you post op, and what was terrible before may be just the ticket post op.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

fran67
on 7/7/12 12:07 am - NJ
VSG on 03/08/12
I couldn't stand any type of yogurt or fish before surgery so I was really worried. But it is very true that your tastes change after. I now like Greek yogurt (not plain unless I mix something into it)and I enjoy fish at least once a week. As for protein powder, I had a tough time with the texture so I used the ready to drink Premier Chocolate from Costco which is really good. Just this past week, I started with the powders again and love the Syntrax Mint Cookie that everyone has been raving about.

4' 11" HW 218 SW 214 Original Goal of 125 in 8.5 mos Lowest Weight 119 CW 133 Trying to get back in the 122-128 range 

Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 7/7/12 12:15 am - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
Everyone raves about Body Fortress from Wal-Mart, I say run for the hills! That stuff is NASTY! I found that it didn't mix well and had little crunch bits like chewing sand. It was awful, smelled great though. I gave the entire container away yesterday. I also don't like the fruity nectar drinks from Syntrax. I have found that the protein powder I like is EAS vanilla from Target.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Michelle from Louisiana

moonglo82
on 7/7/12 12:30 am
VSG on 03/29/12
The only protein drinks I have found that I like are the Premier Protein drinks that Happyteacher mentioned. I get the chocolate ones at Sam's. They also come in vanilla, but I have never tried those.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

PrettyEyes_41
on 7/7/12 12:35 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12
I got samples from Unjury, Premiere and Syntrax and the only one I'm still using right now is the Premiere. The Unjury chicken broth flavor was great during the 2 weeks before and after surgery but now the Premiere works best for me. The Unjury vanilla was great in coffee but I get nauseaous at the smell of it now after surgery.

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

Michael L.
on 7/7/12 1:37 am - Fall River, MA
Thanks for all the comments , stories, and experiences with the protein.This should give me a starting point. I noticed no one did comment on the PROMASIL, anyone familiar with it?

Anyway, thanks for all the support and response to my silly sometimes redundant questions.

God Bless

hw 500  sw 462  cw 383     

CallieBear
on 7/7/12 1:43 am - Greer, SC
VSG on 06/13/12
 My husband and I like Chike powders.  If you buy from their website or directly from them, they have 100% return policy.  They also have a sample pack of all of their flavors and the last time I checked, you only need to pay for shipping on the sample pack of 5 or six flavors.  I bought the orange flavor and hated it.  The store i bought it from is local and does not take returns.  I called the Chike company and asked about their 100% return and was told that it has to be purchased directly from them to get the return garantee but wanted to know where i bought it.  I gave them the name of my local store not thinking they could help so i gave the whole tub away.  The next day my local store called me and told me that someone from Chike had called them and told them i was unhappy with the flavor i purchased and was sending them a replacement of the one I bought so they could give me another flavor.  Unfortuneately the person I gave it to, likes it so my local store ended up getting a replacement and my money lol.
The banana flavor is good with ff milk, and my husband likes it with water.  Out of all the stuff I bought pre surgery, this was the only shake I could get down the first week post op.  we also use the sf banana pudding mix with ff milk and banana Chike now that we are on puréed food.  
I just bought a large tub of chocolate and banana and the sample pack directly from their company and received them yesterday.  I used sf chocolate pudding and the chocolate Chike and it was so good we ended up drinking it before the pudding could set.  It was really good.
Ready to drink pure protein is very mild in taste and we get a case a week from GNC.  

Sorry for the long post.  I really like when a company stands by their products though.

Becky Calliebear is my cat :)    Surgery date 6/13/2012 
Highest 349.  Pre-op diet 339.5.  Current 308  Pre surg weight requirement 322. (by 6/5/12)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views