Yesterday I saw the Bariatric Dotor( VETs its me again)

Moniachelle
on 7/12/12 9:07 am
VSG on 05/22/12
I have 3 doctors I have to see now dang! I have to see my surgeon, the bariatric doc and my GP. Anyway the BD said he wanted me to start consuming 90-100g of protein because I'm working out more. Isn't that a lot of protein to consume at 6 1/2 weeks?  my surgeon said 60g who do I listen too?

seeingmyselfthere
on 7/12/12 9:19 am
VSG on 03/07/12
Hi Moniachelle! Congratulations on your success so far!

I would never advise one way or the other - your doc's have more info and experience.  But I did want to offer this perspective - your surgeon is generally setting goals for pre-post op recovery.  60 grams is just slightly above average intake for most adults - even without surgery.  Now that you're adding exercise (especially if you're doing weight or curcuit training) you will need to increase your protein intake to protect your muscles/tissues and to aid in their recovery between workouts.

I will say, if at any time you don't feel comfortable with your doctor's recommendations you will want to ask for more information.  Never leave the office without a clear understanding of what you're suppose to be doing and why - it's vital for us to responsible patients and to hold our caregivers accountable for informing and educating us properly.  It's not too late - if you're still concerned, reach out to his office on tomorrow.

Wishing you the best. Take good care of yourself!

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/12 9:49 am, edited 7/12/12 9:49 am
Can't tell you one way or the other, but I'm happy to share my experience.

Just after surgery my surgeon's goal was 60 grams per day. From 2 to 6 weeks he upped it to 60 to 80 grams per day. From 6 weeks to 3 months it was 80 grams per day as a target.

Once I hit three months I was to stabalize at 80 grams per day. Because of my exercise program I started going up to 100 grams per day on my own. At my 6 month check up my NUT and bariatric doctor (the MD, not my surgeon) were perfectly fine with that and allowed me to go up even higher if I felt the need. At a support group meeting I went to Dr. C allowed that men could eat as much as 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight, if the man was training heavily.

My non-medical, I'm not a doctor opinion is that 90-100 grams of protein daily sounds right on target.

Edit: However, at six/seven weeks out, it might be hard to get that much protein in.

Kevin H.
on 7/12/12 1:29 pm, edited 7/12/12 1:29 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
one protein shake - 30g 
one isopure - 40g

70g right there without counting any food.  thats what i get every day and its easily doable.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views