Vets chime in please - little confused about post op diet

Lisa S.
on 7/15/12 9:59 pm - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
 So I am a research nut. I read as much material as I can about the particular subject I am interested. I did ALOT of research before I decided to have surgery. I have read post-op manuals from many different hospitals/programs. But I am confused. My post op instructions (from my surgeon) clearly state the following: the first and second week you will be on a liquid diet.
On your second week continue with clear liguids and gelatin and add pear and apple juice (no need to dilute) and soups (broth): potato, tomato, lentil, vegetable, chicken. 

2 weeks after surgery, begin full liquid diet and protein supplements.

3rd to 4th week post-op soft diet
 blended meat and poultry, soft poached eggs, canned/jarred baby foods, lf cottage cheese, sf puddings, unsweetened applesauce, purreed canned peaches (not in syrup), mashed ripe bananas, blended soft cooked vegies, yogurt, ricotta cheese, etc

I see posts of people who had surgery the same week (with same surgeon) who are already "eating" pureed/blended stuff. I haven't even introduced protein shakes back in yet. I am concentrating on fluids. I am hitting 60oz++ per day - water, diluted apple juice, diluted powerade zero (too sweet full strength), broth and tea. I have lost 9 lbs in the past 5 days. I just want to be sure I am not missing something.

bedazzle
on 7/15/12 10:13 pm
VSG on 04/26/12
On instances like this follow the plan your doctor gave you. As long as you are sticking to the plan you will be fine. I would talk to your doctor or NUT about the protein shakes as they are just as important as the fluids. Good luck in your journey and WELCOME TO THE LOSERS BENCH!

USAF Wife
on 7/15/12 10:20 pm
On July 16, 2012 at 4:59 AM Pacific Time, Lisa S. wrote:
 So I am a research nut. I read as much material as I can about the particular subject I am interested. I did ALOT of research before I decided to have surgery. I have read post-op manuals from many different hospitals/programs. But I am confused. My post op instructions (from my surgeon) clearly state the following: the first and second week you will be on a liquid diet.
On your second week continue with clear liguids and gelatin and add pear and apple juice (no need to dilute) and soups (broth): potato, tomato, lentil, vegetable, chicken. 

2 weeks after surgery, begin full liquid diet and protein supplements.

3rd to 4th week post-op soft diet
 blended meat and poultry, soft poached eggs, canned/jarred baby foods, lf cottage cheese, sf puddings, unsweetened applesauce, purreed canned peaches (not in syrup), mashed ripe bananas, blended soft cooked vegies, yogurt, ricotta cheese, etc

I see posts of people who had surgery the same week (with same surgeon) who are already "eating" pureed/blended stuff. I haven't even introduced protein shakes back in yet. I am concentrating on fluids. I am hitting 60oz++ per day - water, diluted apple juice, diluted powerade zero (too sweet full strength), broth and tea. I have lost 9 lbs in the past 5 days. I just want to be sure I am not missing something.

Who cares what anyone else is doing? If they were given the same plan, and they are choosing to ignore it that is on them. If they were given a different plan, it's pertaining to them and their needs. Be grateful for individualization, it means your surgeon cares.

You trusted and hired your surgeon to butcher your guts, trust the post-op dietary guideline that was given to you by your surgeon.

There is no reason to question it at this point, your plan is extremely similar to my program from three years ago and it's there for a reason.

If you've read it thoroughly, reviewed the plan for content (which is obvious you have by your post), stay the course and do not worry about anyone else.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Lisa S.
on 7/15/12 10:28 pm - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
Thank you. I was beginning to question my interpretation of it. That pre-op diet does crazy things to your mind!! LOL. I feel good. I told myself if I started feeling run down or woozy I would add some extra protein or something.

USAF Wife
on 7/15/12 10:32 pm
On July 16, 2012 at 5:28 AM Pacific Time, Lisa S. wrote:
Thank you. I was beginning to question my interpretation of it. That pre-op diet does crazy things to your mind!! LOL. I feel good. I told myself if I started feeling run down or woozy I would add some extra protein or something.
You could always ask if you could have some of the clear protein options such as Isopure or the Syntrax nectars mixed with water. A lot of people use those in the beginning.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

thunderhand
on 7/16/12 12:12 am - mississauga, Canada
VSG on 06/11/12
well said  USAF Wife

rabid24
on 7/16/12 1:05 am
I know what you mean...and if it gives you any consolation, my post-op diet was even more strict than yours. However, I have followed it despite listening to people talk about their 'food' even though they had just had theirs done because I'm not responsible for if they have leaks or not. Plus, it's easier for me being on a strict diet. I'm kinda dreading when it's all opened back up to me. Choices are what got me into this problem in the first place ;)

Revised from band to sleeve on June 6th, 2012. Lost 48 pounds on my own in the 4 months prior to revision. 

livn4God
on 7/16/12 1:55 am
I had my sleeve on Monday the 9th as well, and am struggling with this liquid diet as well.  I too have been confused by somethings, but I have figured one thing out, that when I've seen some people already eating at such an early point, it has been people who had RNY and not the sleeve.  They can eat pureed early on, but not us evidently.  Maybe we can hang in there together.
Lisa S.
on 7/16/12 4:51 am - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
for sure!!! I am okay with the liquid diet. I was just confused. Be blessed...and thanks all for your replies.

cherylmathis
on 7/22/12 9:37 am - WI
Follow your surgeon's instructions and put up blinders about everything else you see. There are a lot of extra "stuff" in protein supplements that might make a tender stomach ache. Regardless of why, your surgeon knows what is best for the type of surgery he did, and he knows the right formula for you to get the best results.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views