Anyone on Coumadin ever have the sleeve?

Michael L.
on 7/27/12 9:41 am - Fall River, MA
What was the method they used for dealing with you before surgery.
I have seen three different methods of coming off Coumadin for surgery with precautions. I have a blood clotting gene forcing me to take that junk daily

One is lovanox shots at home starting a few days before, the other is going in the hospital a few days before to be put on a heparin drip and the other is to be tapered off with lovinox and have a filter inserted in the groin I was told.

I met with the Hematolagist yesterday and in my case they highly recommend going in the hospital for 3 days prior to surgery and go on a heparin IV To keep better control of my numbers to prevent a clot. and after the surgery they say I'd need to stay another 4-5 days

I was just wondering anyone else's experiences with Coumadin and surgery.

Thanks

hw 500  sw 462  cw 383     

sweymer77
on 7/27/12 10:00 am - OH
VSG on 06/11/12
I was on Coumadin when I had my surgery. I still take it as well. I was in a car wreck and had a serious blood clot in September. I was very fortunate and survived it passing thru my heart. For my surgery in June they took me off of Coumadin 7 days prior and I started back up the day after surgery. They did talk about doing a filter but I decided not to. I had my surgery out-patient and had no issues. I made sure I was up and walking as soon as possible the day of my surgery. I do know you can do the Lovenox shots up to 12 hours before surgery. Don't know if you have ever had to do that but it really isn't bad. I had to take shots for a week after I was released from hospital after my accident. Good luck you you!

36 LBS was before my VSG surgery. Surgery Date was 6/11/12.
Elaine2
on 7/27/12 10:29 am - Atlanta, GA
Been on Coumadin many years for AFIB.
I came off Coumadin 7 days prior to surgery---Lovanox daily; then as a post op did Lovanox shots for 10 days. Then back on  Coumadin. 

The shots are easy (after you do that first one) if you haven't done it before. Just really expensive if you're paying out of pocket (even with eventual reimbursement--yikes!)

Debbie R.
on 7/27/12 2:46 pm - Cedar Hill, TX
VSG on 02/27/12
On July 27, 2012 at 5:29 PM Pacific Time, Elaine2 wrote:
Been on Coumadin many years for AFIB.
I came off Coumadin 7 days prior to surgery---Lovanox daily; then as a post op did Lovanox shots for 10 days. Then back on  Coumadin. 

The shots are easy (after you do that first one) if you haven't done it before. Just really expensive if you're paying out of pocket (even with eventual reimbursement--yikes!)

What she said!!

1crazy_cat_lady
on 7/27/12 3:53 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
I have Factor V Leiden so I'm on coumadin.  I am currently in the process of taking required classes.  Historically I've been taken off coumadin and put on heparin.  I'll have to see what these people say :)

Mutants unite!

HW: 361  CW: 337.8  Goal:  To come off most of my meds

Marabell
on 7/27/12 9:59 pm
VSG on 06/07/12
Lovanox injections are easy and expensive....however you can ask for heparin injections to give yourself at home....way way WAY less than lovanox and almost as easy.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views