Mirena IUD

Lissette M.
on 7/31/12 9:59 pm - NJ
VSG on 08/11/11 with
My one year anniversary will be on August 11th, but I have noticed that since I had the Mirena inserted, in May, it has been very difficult to lose weight. Should I have waited to reach my goal weight then had it inserted?? Or it this just all the weight I will lose?

Kris R.
on 7/31/12 10:33 pm - Walworth, NY
Hi,  I'm no expert, but I would say your stall is related to the Mirena.  It didn't matter what sort of bcp i went on or anything like that, i would gain weight.  10 to 15 pounds.  Have it removed and go from there.

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

aimnic
on 7/31/12 10:44 pm - VA
VSG on 04/30/12 with
i have the mirena and it doesn't seem to be affecting my loss.  however, i just had surgery this past april and my mirena has been in for about 2 years.  maybe in time you'll find that it's not as hard?  i'm not sure...i know these things affect everyone differently!  i'd talk to your gyno about it for sure! 

good luck to you!

Aimee
Starting Weight - 323.6
Surgery Weight - 308.2
Latse
on 7/31/12 11:19 pm
VSG on 06/18/12
The Mirena IUD has a hormone in it, that may be why your weight loss has stalled.  If after reviewing your diet and workout journals you can find no other reason for the stall, talk to your doctor about the copper IUD that does not have any hormones.  I think it is called prevnar.  I had the Mirena for 5 years and then switched to the copper one.

Starting/Highest Weight 340, Surgery Weight 306,
Post op:
M1-20lb, M2-14, M3-15, M4-11, M5-10, M6-10, M7-8, M8-4, M9-4, M10-5

Lissette M.
on 7/31/12 11:23 pm - NJ
VSG on 08/11/11 with
Thanks for the input ladies. I lost 2 pounds this week, so maybe I can't blame it all on the Mirena

LiveLoveHappy
on 8/1/12 12:46 am
VSG on 07/10/12
I'm so glad you posted this. My friend who is a pharmacist suggested to use the copper IUD for the reason stated earlier. However I for some reason still went along with the Mirena. I had it inserted a week before my surgery. I lost 11ibs the 1st week post op, then 1ibs on 2nd week and then 1.8Ibs the 3 week.  My period started 3 days after my surgery which was a little over a week after the insertion. I've spotted on and off up until yesterday! That was a good 2.5 weeks! I called my Obgyn on Monday and they said it was normal and that the sleeve surgery I had has nothing to do with the bleeeding and IUD. The only reason they would be concerned is if I was overly bleeding and really in severe pain. Thankfully yesterday everything stopped. But it got me thinking could the Mirena be the reason for little loss 2 and 3 weeks post op? I know I'm doing all that I was told to do with my NUT. I'm walking at least 50mins and drinking at least 90oz of water... so what gives?  Well after reading tons of discussions on here I've decided it could be
a) the dreaded early stall or slow loss
b) If after 3months and I'm loosing at a slow pace then I may decide to change to the copper IUD
c) If that does not work then I'm simply just a slow loser.
Until then I am content in knowing that as long as I watch my portions, drink my fluids, workout and take my vitamins then I'm doing my part.
So I say all this to say that yes perhaps you might want to switch to copper.
PS: sorry for TMI

TaylorH7682
on 8/1/12 1:58 am - NJ
VSG on 10/08/12
I've had Mirena twice, after having each of my children, and gained about 20 lbs after having it put in each time.I think it could definetely be apart of your stall.  I would give your body some more time to adjust to it, and if things dont change have it removed.  I'm wondering if already having it will make a difference in my weight loss post op.If it does I will have ti removed ASAP and go with the copper. 

Katester
on 8/1/12 2:25 am
I had surgery in Augst 2010 and got a Mirena in Dec 2010. I lost 99 lbs from august-Feb and an additional 25 lbs the following 3 months. The only "stall" I had was at 1 month post-op when I started eating real food. It lasted about 10 days and then I lost 4 lbs overnight.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views