5 weeks out no energy dont feel good am I alone?

autumnnc
on 8/1/12 5:54 am
VSG on 07/03/12
I am 5 weeks out from surgery. I have lost 35 pounds. When I first got out of the hospital I felt good, moved, drank the protein, everything felt good. The past two weeks have been rough. I can hardly tolerate the protein drinks and I have tried all different flavors, I don't have ANY energy and I am taking my vitamins. Nothing tastes good and I just feel low. I am normally a very happy person and I am trying to force myself to do the things I know I should but, my stomach just gives me a fit. I get nauseous A LOT. Any suggestions? Did anyone else feel this way? Thanks for any help!!

loverofcats
on 8/1/12 6:02 am
Are you on an acid reducer or PPI (protonix, nexium, prilosec, etc)? Too much acid can cause nausea. I used anti-nausea medication for the first couple of months, because I was nauseous all the time.

If you are not getting in enough protein and/or fluids, that can cause poor energy and lethargy.

Call your surgeon and let him know. It is vital that you get enough protein and fluids for your health.

gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Ms_SUCH
on 8/1/12 6:09 am - Detroit, MI
I thought I was the only one!! I feel so lost and times and I look at each day as a new one but I have not had any protein drinks in about 3 weeks and I am trying to figure out which ones totry or something... Its like they leave my stomach with this sour like feeling ( not good at all) so i just drink plenty of fluids and popsicles!! I have returned back to work sooner then what I expected  but I still have no energy or get up and go... i have consider even taking a b12 shot..
loverofcats
on 8/1/12 6:36 am
You don't have any energy, because you are not getting any protein. Believe me, I went through a terrible first several weeks, with complications and spent two weeks in the hospital. Not getting enough protein uses up all your lean muscle mass, which depresses one's metabolism even further.

Find a way to get protein into you. If you don't like the protein drinks (and I didn't either), get some unflavored protein powder and add it to anything and everything that you can think of, including soups, NF Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, puddings, make popsicles with NF milk, protein powder, and NF NSA instant pudding. Buy some protein puddings, try Premier protein shakes from Costco/Sam's Club. I was eventually able to tolerate the Premier shakes and they have 35 grams of protein. Unjury as a chicken soup that has 20 grams of protein in it. I also used this soup early out.

Are you on an acid reducer or PPI? Looking back, I really believe that my nausea and food intolerance was due to poorly controlled acid.

B12 is great, but if you're not getting enough protein and/or fluids into you, nothing is going to help.

I finally started feeling better by week 7, at which time, I was able to drink more fluids and found some protein that I could tolerate.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

moonglo82
on 8/1/12 6:13 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Exactly what Gail said.

Also, I would go ahead and get some bloodwork done to make sure everything is checking out. Even if you are taking your vitamins, you might still be deficient somewhere that could be throwing you off.

Feel better soon!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

autumnnc
on 8/1/12 6:47 am
VSG on 07/03/12
Thank you so much!! I am going for my 1st check up tomorrow so I will address these issues. I am getting some protein in but, I know it isnt enough. I really appreciate all the input. It helps to know that I am not as alone as I feel!!! I look forward to feeling better!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views