Singing

Michael L.
on 8/6/12 6:20 am - Fall River, MA
I have a crazy question.

Are there any professional vocalists on here who have had the sleeve. I'm trying to gauge what to expect for recovery. I know when singing I fill my lungs with air. The air vibrates my vocal chords making sound. But I have to think that my stomach muscles are a delivery system of the air. I can't help to think its gonna be tough for a while. Not to mention how fatiguing it will probably be.

Anyone have any experience they can chime in with?

hw 500  sw 462  cw 383     

Evymetalmommy
on 8/6/12 6:53 am - LA
VSG on 04/19/12
I can chime in.  I'm no professional but I've been singing since I was born.  I was going to go to Berklee College of Music but instead decided to waste 10 years in depression.  All of that being said here is how it went for me.

I had the same concerns that you did.  I was afraid that the surgery would cost me my voice.  It did not.  The first few days I thought it was over bec it did in fact hurt to inhale.  However you need to be taking those deep breaths anyway.  So ultimately me forcing myself to sing got me moving right along.

It was only MILDLY uncomfortable for the first couple of weeks.  I cannot tell you how much better I feel after surgery.  No more than a month of struggling w/ singing of any sort for me.  That includes feeling fatigued.
incredibleshrinkingevy.blogspot.com/ My Blog!!

vogue
on 8/13/12 8:46 am
VSG on 08/30/12
Did either of you have hernia repair or just VSG?? from reading around, it seems that makes a difference on it one can sing well enough for a performance soon after surgery...
vogue
on 8/13/12 8:48 am
VSG on 08/30/12
On August 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM Pacific Time, Michael L. wrote:
I have a crazy question.

Are there any professional vocalists on here who have had the sleeve. I'm trying to gauge what to expect for recovery. I know when singing I fill my lungs with air. The air vibrates my vocal chords making sound. But I have to think that my stomach muscles are a delivery system of the air. I can't help to think its gonna be tough for a while. Not to mention how fatiguing it will probably be.

Anyone have any experience they can chime in with?
its actually your diaphragm delivering the air....   but yeah, Im sure stomach muscles come into play...  I just got asked to sing for a performance 10 days after my surgery date...  Im not so much worried about that but the first rehearsal is on my surgery date...I know I will miss that...there will only be 2 more after that and I worry can I havdle either
moonglo82
on 8/13/12 8:52 am
VSG on 03/29/12
I'm far from professional, but I will say that, once I got far enough out that I could take deep breaths again comfortably (probably about two weeks out), I could suddenly sing higher and lower notes than I have been able to in years, and my singing sounds better in general now.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Michael L.
on 8/13/12 9:51 am - Fall River, MA
On August 13, 2012 at 3:52 PM Pacific Time, moonglo82 wrote:
I'm far from professional, but I will say that, once I got far enough out that I could take deep breaths again comfortably (probably about two weeks out), I could suddenly sing higher and lower notes than I have been able to in years, and my singing sounds better in general now.
Awesome, that sounds promising

hw 500  sw 462  cw 383     

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 271 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views