is this normal?

Nancy S.
on 8/11/12 7:22 am
I was wondering if anyone out there before surgery had the problem of wanting to eat things you know you are not going to get for awhile causing me to gain a few pounds , how do you you think that looks to our insurance and can they reject you for that, even though I am trying to excercise I find myself wanting to eat mexican food and other things My surgery will be in October hopefully, Did any of you gain weight pre op? what advise can you give me.

Nancy
lucy2e
on 8/11/12 8:10 am - Laurel, MD
I have seen people gain weight pre-op and still get approved.  I myself lost some weight pre-op, but I also had a long fond farewell with certain foods - like nacho's - and I had that sad feeling like I was losing something good.  Now 1 year out I know that I haven't lost anything - I have gained a wonderful life!  I do have an occasional nacho - just one or two, and they really don't taste that great to me anymore.  The other wonderful thing is how quickly I fill up!

My advice to you is start practicing what you will need to do post surgery.  Start by having lean protein and eat a bunch of that and veggies.  Then fill in a little with other stuff - that way your stomach will be filled with the good stuff that you need and your splurge type stuff will be far less but you will still get a little.  Also start eliminating liquid calories NOW if you haven't already - they are killer since you never feel full from them!

Good luck! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

jennergirl
on 8/11/12 8:35 am - OR
VSG on 05/30/12
I fully understand what you're saying!  I felt that way off/on before surgery and did a few food funerals.  Now I realize it isn't necessary, just your head getting a little freaked out.  I agree that you should focus on protein & little veggie & if you have some room left -- try the 'special foods'.  October is a ways off so I would probably have trouble staying completely focused.  

After surgery you will try those 'special foods' again & realize they weren't all that good.  I don't even care about chocolate cake anymore & it was my most favorite food in the whole wide world!  There are the occasional times when you have a little something that you know isn't 'just protein', but I find that it doesn't satisfy & uses up too many calories & therefore, isn't worth it.  

I say do your best because you deserve that from yourself!

morgans
on 8/11/12 9:18 am
VSG on 06/18/12
Usually the insurance-required pre-op "diet" is to make sure that you are getting educated on healthy, appropriate eating habits and that you are putting those into practice. The insurance company is paying a chunk of change for you to have this surgery so they build in success qualifications. Hence the psychiatric eval, etc. 

You will be able to eat Mexian food again. I had Indian last night. Beans are still a bit much for me to digest, but I've had tiny shrimp quesadillas with habanero salsa and cheese. 

Now is definitely the time to practice mindful eating. Cut your portion sizes down, stop fast food, junk food habits, drink more water, etc. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/12 2:21 am, edited 8/11/12 2:22 am
What you are feeling is very normal for some folks. It sure was for me. I started panicking about a week prior to surgery and had a few food funerals. In hindsight there was no reason for it at all. I can eat everything again that I could prior to surgery. Funny thing is that I just don't choose to eat a lot of the things I used to like. I think hamburgers are disgusting now and they were one of my favorite go to foods.
Sadly, I still LOVE sweets, so I have to stay away from those. I really don't do moderation well when it comes to those carby, sweet, gooey slider foods! LOL!!!!

Edited to add: Oh, I did gain a pound prior to surgery and my surgeon was far from pleased.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views