On my way with pre-op

Missey J.
on 8/12/12 10:36 am - AZ
VSG on 08/27/12 with
Well...this is day one and I woke up hungry. A protein shark and jello helped but still hungry. My blood sugar was 107 fasting. That's one of my concerns. What if my blood sugars drop to low ? What do I do ? Call my NUT or ask for the surgeon ?

Age 53, 5'2", HW 337, Pre OpW 312.5, SW ?, CW 286        
Italian-Princess
on 8/12/12 1:27 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Missey

I wouldn't be concerned with a 107 fasting glucose reading.  I'm about 6 weeks post-op and I have been off my Type II meds since the day before surgery.  I still test daily -- first thing in the morning, so fasting -- I'm always between 80 and 100.  That's typically tagged as non-diabetic.  My research shows that glucose levels below 60 would be dangerously low. 

My guess is that what you are feelig is a bit of weakness or/and feeling lightheaded.  I get that and was told it's my body getting used to the really low carb consumption.  It doesn't happen as often now, but I do notice it right after working out even though it's on a limited basis at this point.

Always check with our doctor about these things.  In a pinch, if you are at home and you find your glucose is too low, drink a small amount of orange juice or some milk.  If you are going to be out and about or have to be at work, keep a roll of life savers in your purse.  Have a couple of those if you need them.  But seriously, 107 should not be a problem at all.

Good luck.

Ree
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views