Starting pre-op diet

Missey J.
on 8/11/12 9:34 pm - AZ
VSG on 08/27/12 with
Any hints on how to make it easier ? I have to do this for 14 days. Any suggestions would be help full. Thanks

Age 53, 5'2", HW 337, Pre OpW 312.5, SW ?, CW 286        
Jewelz13
on 8/11/12 9:56 pm - TX
I had to do it too except my doc allowed on high protein meal a day so every night I had a grilled chicken salad. It is the worst part of the process. I'm 5 days post op.

Jarisaunt
on 8/11/12 10:51 pm - CA
VSG on 08/21/12
Hi Missy!

I'm on the sixth day of my preop diet (surgery will be on 8/20). I'm not going to lie, the first few days are difficult. It wasn't really until today that I didn't feel a lot of hunger. What helped me is drinking a lot of non carbonated, sugar free drinks-- water, crystal lite. Ocean Spray makes a really delicious cran-raspberry powder you can mix with your water (its just like Crystal Lite, but tastes way better). I also use the Unjury chicken broth and it is great. I dislike sf jello, so I don't have much of that.

Sugar free popscicles are a lifesaver-- I highly recommend these.

Good luck!

Height: 5'5"  2 wks pre-op: -15  M1: -20  M2: -18  M3: -12  M4: -13  M5: -8 M6: -10 M7: -2 M8: -10 M9: -4 M10: 0 M11: -3 M12: -3 M13: -14 Start Wt:290 SurgWt:275 (BMI 46) Current Wt:145 (BMI 24) Goal:140 (BMI 23.3)

toniosmom
on 8/12/12 3:21 am
I am starting day 5 and I experienced a lot of real hunger the first 3 days -- days 2-3 were horrible with the afternoons/evenings the worst.  Day 4 seemed a little better, but I was very busy.  Something that really helped was making sure I had a protein shake just before I left the house, which helped reduce the cravings while I was out-and-about.  

When I truly felt hunger, I had soup.  One of my surgeon's patients (success story) told me to try tomato and/or pea soup.  Yes, it kicks up the carbs a bit, but it really helped a lot with my hunger.  I've loved tomato soup since I was a kid and haven't had it in years, so it really hit the spot.  It's a bit heartier than broth, so it helped a lot during the worst times.  

Good luck!  You can do this.  It'll be SO worth it in the end.  

Pat H.
on 8/12/12 8:07 am
I was where you are a year ago. This is a part of your new life - it start today. It was good practice for the post sleeve life. Its a good time to try a variety of protein drinks. Think about what you can have rather than what you can't. Make a plan for when and what you can have for each meal. Always have something on hand ready to mix up or already made (a pitcher of tea, Crystal Light in a flavor you really like) and you will always have something to look forward to. Good luck!

SW - 234.5  GW - 140.5   Met Goal on 5/7/12  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 130 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 386 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 419 views