My Sleeve Hates Dinner

considering2012
on 8/13/12 8:36 pm
This morning for breakfast I had 2oz of chicken. It went down great. However, this evening at dinnertime (around 7), I tried to eat 2oz. of the same chicken and my stomach was not having it. I got in an ounce and within 10 minutes, the vomiting commenced. I vomitted about half of the ounce I ate and the rest was just heaving and feeling like I got punched in the back.

In between breakfast and dinner, I had a popsicle and some water. I just wasn't hungry and I had other **** to do.

I'm three weeks out today and this just started happening (off and on) last Thursday. This sucks because I'm trying to wean myself off of shakes and I have good days (Friday I got 70g of protein in all from real food) and then this dinnertime madness.

It's always at dinnertime too.

Anyone have any idea why?
moonglo82
on 8/13/12 8:43 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
Just a few thoughts...

1) Why wean yourself off of protein shakes, especially this early? I'm almost five months out and still have at least one shake a day, sometimes two.
2) Are you exercising? What time of day? I have more restriction after exercise.
3) When you have trouble with eating, is the food ever reheated? If so, that is probably the culprit. If you're microwaving leftovers, make sure and put a cup of water in with it to help keep it moist.

Keep in mind too that it's normal for our tummies to have varying restriction for a variety of reasons, some we can't always pin down. I have tighter days and days when I feel like I could eat twice as much, but don't.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

considering2012
on 8/13/12 8:51 pm
On August 14, 2012 at 3:43 AM Pacific Time, moonglo82 wrote:
Just a few thoughts...

1) Why wean yourself off of protein shakes, especially this early? I'm almost five months out and still have at least one shake a day, sometimes two.
2) Are you exercising? What time of day? I have more restriction after exercise.
3) When you have trouble with eating, is the food ever reheated? If so, that is probably the culprit. If you're microwaving leftovers, make sure and put a cup of water in with it to help keep it moist.

Keep in mind too that it's normal for our tummies to have varying restriction for a variety of reasons, some we can't always pin down. I have tighter days and days when I feel like I could eat twice as much, but don't.
1) The only protein shake I even relatively like has more than the calorie allowance per shake. Trying to drink 3/day like my NUT suggests and eat would push me to a calorie intake I'm not comfortable with and honestly I wouldn't be able to get them in anyway (too filling). I've tried them all and am only happy with 1 brand and my amino acid powders in water.

2)Yes. I exercise at all times of day. Just depends on when I get around to it.

3)Yeah, it is reheated food. Maybe I'll try the water trick.
moonglo82
on 8/13/12 8:58 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of protein shake are you using, and how many calories, protein, and carbs is it?

You really may need to have at least one shake a day until you get far enough out that you can eat more consistently. 

Also, do you have a crock pot?  I find that chicken is much softer after it's been simmering in a crock pot for a few hours :)  Lots of great recipes out there.  Perhaps that would help it to go down easier.  With some of those recipes, the leftovers go down just fine cold, or you could reheat them with whatever liquids the chicken originally simmered in.  Yummy!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

considering2012
on 8/13/12 9:01 pm
I only like ISS OhYeah! in Cookies n' Cream. It's 14oz. 220 calories, 9 grams of fat, 32 grams of whey protein. My NUT/doc only allow shakes that are under 200 calories.
moonglo82
on 8/13/12 9:05 pm, edited 8/13/12 2:05 am
VSG on 03/29/12
At 20 calories difference, at that point I'd be tempted to call it close enough if it means getting enough protein in for the day. But that's just me. I have a hunch that they meant 200 calories as a guide to keep you from using something higher in sugar... but 32 grams of protein would be worth it for the extra 20 calories IMO.

Or, drink 7 oz at a time. 7 oz for breakfast at 110 cals and 16 grams of protein, and 7 oz for lunch, same stats... but if it was me, I would do that with two shakes a day so I was still gettin in at least 60 grams of protein.

hollykim
on 8/14/12 8:33 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 14, 2012 at 4:01 AM Pacific Time, considering2012 wrote:
I only like ISS OhYeah! in Cookies n' Cream. It's 14oz. 220 calories, 9 grams of fat, 32 grams of whey protein. My NUT/doc only allow shakes that are under 200 calories.
how about breaking one shake down into two servings? then it would fall into the guidelines and you will still be getting the 32 oz of protein by the end of the day.

You could avtually do it twice a day for 4 shakes that fall in the guidelines and get  64 ounces of protein that way.

GL.

Scohen1975
on 8/13/12 8:44 pm - Sandy, UT
 I am only a few days out, but I heard that chicken is harder. Also you really need to make sure you have your 3 meals. Sorry I don't have more advice. Good like and I am just a short bit behind you. 
considering2012
on 8/13/12 8:53 pm
Chicken has been okay for me...in the daytime. Now what I can't do is turkey chops. They are far too lean and my stomach just won't handle them. Ground turkey, yes. Turkey chops, not at all.
(deactivated member)
on 8/13/12 8:44 pm - Anoka, MN
VSG on 07/12/12
Our sleeves are fickle friends! This is normal, sleeve loved turkey meatballs one day, the next I was heaving into a plastic bag after trying to eat them again.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 90 views