Exercise

getmylifeback12
on 8/17/12 3:37 am - NY
OK...So far I have been really faithful. I have been walking 5-6 miles a day, at least 5 days a week. Plus sometimes I carry wrist weights and sometimes I carry my weighted backpack. Everything is going really well, I am down 8 pounds PAST my goal weight. I have a little definition in my arms etc. I am happy with results....My issue?  First of all I live way up north on the Canada border (Upstate NY) so the winters are long and I know I wont be able to do this routine in a couple of months from now. I hate the cold weather. My husband said he would get me snow shoes for my birthday! NOT AN OPTION, Unless they are a diamond pair of snow shoe earrings. I know I can find other means of exercise...but will I??
Second issue...can I cut back on the exercise to stop losing weight? I DO NOT want to increase my calories. I am satisfied with the calories I eat. I dont want to get into the habit of eating more that I want/need.  How much walking do I need to do to stop losing weight, but still keep my metabolism up and not get mushy (feeling). I do have a treadmill that I will use (Hopefully) I have tried to "google" but there are so many different answers. Im thinking maybe 3 miles a day for 3 or 4 days a week. Does anyone have some advice? I just want to maintain my current weight  and come up with something I will be able to live with. I do not live a sedentary (sp?) life. I walk the stairs at work alot. I dont sit much at home. Busy with 2 dogs, house cleaning etc...
PLEASE ADVISE. Im worried about the winter!!
AnnieinIA
on 8/17/12 4:41 am
Personally I don't think anyone can give you the answer to this because all bodies are a bit different in how they metabolize and burn calories. I think the more common approach would be to increase your calories to compensate for the exercise instead of lowering the amount you exercise since it is so valuable for our bodies in ways other than just weightloss. But of course that is your decision and you said you won't go that route.

You might want to just experiment by exercising less until you find that perfect balance for your body....fairly simple to do.
As for winter...I also live in the cold and stress over the same thing. My solution is to find something indoors you like. I belong to a great gym but there are classes and dance and indoor rock climbing and many things to choose from depending on your area. I tell myself I will do something outdoors in the cold but reality is I won't.
Pura Vida
on 8/17/12 4:43 am - Costa Rica
 Good for you keeping up with the workouts. I was working with an AWESOME trainer and then she moved away. I was so bummed. But she told me to go on You tube and doe the Jillian Michaels 30 minute shred videos. I was skeptical at first, but then I did them and I did get great results right there in my bedroom without any equipment. 

Your dedication is what is important, not the weather. Easy for me to say since I live in the tropics!

Best,

Heather

lucy2e
on 8/17/12 5:08 am - Laurel, MD
I think you will have to experiment a little to find your perfect spot for maintaining - but the 3-4 mi 3 days a week sounds like a perfect start!  

For the winter - are there any big malls near you?  Mall walking can be a good option for exercise in the winter.  I used to work in a very big office building and there are always employees around lunch time who walk the indoor loop for exercise!

Good luck! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

rhearob
on 8/17/12 5:38 am - TN
 Maintenance is about balance.  Sure you will stop losing as fast if you stop exercising, but stopping the exercise can also lead back to bad habits and make it that much harder to get it going again when the weather turns nice again.  

I am in the same boat, I love my walking and running and I know that when the winter turns crappy here I am going to feel deprived not doing it - I can't stand the gym or my elliptical - they are soooo boring.  Look for exercises that you can do indoors when the weather is bad that you enjoy as much as the outside activities.  I have found, while on business trips, that I can enjoy a run on a treadmill - so I will be buying a decent treadmill to work out on during the winter months.

As far as diet.  I understand what you mean about upping the calories.  That made me quite nervous as well.  Not knowing what your daily caloric intake is now, I would advise in general to take it slowly.  I treated upping my calories like the diet progression after surgery.  I am slowly introducing new foods, slowly upping my calories, and watching carefully to make sure I stay in my maintenance zone.  I am eating between 1000 and 1200 calories a day now (up from 600 during weight loss).  

My approach is to still apply the same rules as during weight loss:  get as much protein as I can, plenty of water, etc.  I also eat more frequently.  I avoid foods that I know are my triggers (Darth Spud, dark lord of the depe fryer).  When I do have meals, I judiciously use more calorically dense foods and carbs to get the calories up while still maintaining high protein.

Upping the calories isn't necessarily bad, it just means you have more opportunities to use your new skills and make awesome food choices!

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views