Newbie with questions

anniel1015
on 8/17/12 4:43 pm
 I'm a newbie with some questions.   I had my group nutrition assessment last night and my first one on one meeting with the dietitian on September 13th. I'm going to go through the materials I was given and try to make a shopping list before I get groceries this weekend. Anyone have any must haves for me. FYI- I can not tolerate milk, yogurt or cottage cheese. I tend to have a tough time with lunches especially since I work from home now and the animals end up begging for my attention, plus I only get 30min for lunch. I really want to start making quinoa, but have no idea how or what to mix with it. Someone made a salad once at a work event and it was delicious. I'm doing really well with cutting back on the soda. My biggest issue is going to be ice cream. Anyone have any really good substitutes for snacks?  If you have any more advice I'd appreciate it.  I'm really trying to lose a good 10% if not more before surgery.
ParisGirl
on 8/17/12 5:09 pm
VSG on 04/25/13
I'm Pre-op too. Check out worldaccordingtoeggface.com. She has some great recipes, including protein ice cream. Good luck. I'm at the same stage you are. My one on one NUT appt is 9/20.

Italian-Princess
on 8/17/12 5:13 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Annie

Welcome aboard!

Now let's deal with that quinoa.............not a good idea at all.  A serving of about 6.5 ounces (a very large portion BTW and too big for a new sleever) carries a carb load of 39 grams and protein of only 8 grams............and that's 220 calories.  Just the calories alone take over 1/3 of most early post-oper's total for the day.  The carb load is horrible.  For me, that's 2 whole days of carbs -- though for a lot of people, it would be one entire day's worth. 

You are going to be given a plan from your surgeon and/or nutritionist and that's what you should follow.   However, you will find that the most successful sleevers and the vets who are close to maintenance follow something like this on a daily basis:

60-80 grams of protein -- some of us try for more
40 grams of carbs -- some of us try to limit it to 20-25 grams
600-800 calories -- many try to stay closer to 600 -- especially early on
64 oz. of fluids MINIMUM -- strive for more

Are you lactose intolerant or just don't like milk, etc?  You do eat ice cream -- something you'll have to say "later, gator" to for while.

Snacks need to fit into your meal plan.  Snacks should be full of protein and low carb/low cal.

The first few weeks post-op will probably be clear liquids, moving to full liquids.  Grocery shopping is a good idea, but be prepared that you may find your tastes change post-op.  Mine didn't, but I've read about many who find they don't like things they loved and now like things they detested before.  Everything you buy should be as fat-free as possible, low carb, and definitely sugar free.  You'll likely find that your plan includes protein shakes.  There are zillions of brands out there.  Keep in mind that not all protein powders are created equal -- read the labels.  And just because a protein powder calls itself unflavored, that do not necessarily mean there is no taste to it.  None of my unflavored brands have been a problem to me..........just giving you a heads-up about that.

Read all you can on this site.  Especially those who are several months out.  I'm only 7 weeks out, but I've followed the above plan very strictly.  This tool we get is just that -- not a miracle, but a good helper in eating the correct amount of food.......the choices we make can still influenced by our old bad habits.  That's the work that needs to be done...........head work -- and the sooner, the better.

Just my 43 cents worth!

Good luck..................keep asking questions and keep us posted on your progress!

Ree

Cinderella50
on 8/17/12 6:16 pm - NY
VSG on 08/29/12
 40 grams of carbs per day AFTER the sleeve? What about on the pre-open liquid diet. I was told only to watch the carbs in the protein shakes but not a daily max.

Italian-Princess
on 8/17/12 7:48 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Yes, 40 grams after -- but I try to stay closer to 20-25 grams.  I didn't have a pre-op diet from my surgeon, but I put myself on one where I ate primarily protein, no bread, pasta, rice, grains, etc., very few veggies and just a spoon of fruit in the morning so that I could start the carb detox. 

I would never tell anyone which program to follow -- I just offer what I do.  You will be given a plan, too, if you don't have it already.  Following your plan is important.  If you don't have to deal with a carb max per day, that's what your surgeon/nutritionist allows.  I'm only saying that carb detoxing prior to surgery was a benefit to me.  YMMV

Good luck -- we all have to do this the best way we can......we all different, but we each want the same thing:  a healthier life.  We can do that!

Ree
Cinderella50
on 8/18/12 7:36 am - NY
VSG on 08/29/12
 I have only been given the preop plan, it stated to keep the carbs in the shakes to 5 with protein over 20. no caffiene and no carbonated beverages. other than that no daily guidelines on carbs. I know one of the purposes is to wean off carbs while shrinking the liver, so i am  watching the # of carbs but dont know whT a max is. I have a class on wednesday and will ask all questions. If I've overcarbed this week I guessit will be fixed for next week. In any case I'm getting WAY less carbs than before, so thats a plus. BTW I' m starving!

Italian-Princess
on 8/18/12 11:54 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
I'm so sorry you're starving!  The good news is that once you have your sleeve, you won't feel that anymore!  You'll have to remind yourself to eat.  Someone told me that pre-op and I said something along the lines of "are you freakin' NUTZZZ  Forget to eat?  ME????"  Well, it happens now and I rescind all the snarky comments I used to tell my friends who would say they forget to eat LOL LOL LOL

Your carb count will be fine.  Simply limiting what all you can eat will bring that down.  I was so impatient about the plan that I begged to get a copy early on so I would have a clue what I would be allowed to have.   

You're going to be fine -- Cinderella is the Belle of the Ball!  

Ree 
'
happyteacher
on 8/18/12 3:54 pm
 I think it is safer to say that you will not feel hunger at first.  You will still deal with head hunger right out of the gate.  At 8 months, my hunger has returned to what would have been typical pre op and before I was obese. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Italian-Princess
on 8/18/12 5:00 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
WOW I didn't know that could happen that soon!  There are so many differences in the early stages.  This is why we listen to the vets........you all have so much more experience and can teach us so much.  Thanks for pointing that ou!
happyteacher
on 8/18/12 6:01 am
On August 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM Pacific Time, Cinderella50 wrote:
 40 grams of carbs per day AFTER the sleeve? What about on the pre-open liquid diet. I was told only to watch the carbs in the protein shakes but not a daily max.
 40 grams of carbs is followed by many on the site, but it is certainly not universal.  Discuss this with your nutritionist/bariatric team.  At 8 months out I am at about a 100 or so net carbs a day, but know that was much lower newly sleeved.  For the first 2 months I tried to keep it under 40, but issues with hypoglycemia made it unsafe.  The protein is critcal so it will be important that you do not take in most calorie from carbs... eat your protein first!!  I should also point out I eat more calories per day than typical around here and balance that with more exercise (nothing crazy) than typical for most folks.  Here is what I suggest beginning pre op:

-start weighing and tracking all food, many of us use myfitnesspal.com.  You can friend me over there and view my food diary if desired... I am idateacher2.  It will show you the progression of calories, protein, and carbs starting from a few days before surgery to present.

-gather protein shake samples.  Tastes change after surgery.  You want to make sure you have stuff on hand, but not so much you end up wasting a ton of money if you don't like it anymore.  

-stock your house with other grocery items.  High protein cream of chicken soup, high protein hot chocolate, and Isopoure Plus were my go to items those first few weeks.  I also recommend sugar free Torani syrups and Fage or Chobani plain fat free yogurt- use the syrup in the yogurt for flavor and sweetness.

-monitor carbs beginning now.  The carbs can cause a vicious cycle- too many and your insuline spikes, insulin causes the cals to be stored to fat, causes cravings for more carbs, and the cycle repeats.  I avoid this by 3 meals at 30 carbs or so a day and 3 snacks at 15 or so carbs a day- rough targets, but it keeps the cravings away.  Carbs come almost exclusively from "good" carbs- fruit, veggies,  a tiny bit of whole grains.  No refined flours or sugars.

- go through the material given to you from your docs frontwards and backwards and really get to know the plan they have you on.  Do not feel pressured by folks on this site to not follow your plan.  If it works for you keep doing it, if it doesn't then be honest with youreself and  time to adjust.   Pretty simple. 

-start exercising now.  You do not have to be a triathelete.  Just make yourself move!  My goal is 6 days a week, at least 30 minutes a day.  I found once I start it is very easy to keep going and average 1-1.5 hours a day.  In the very beginning though, walking 20 minutes was what I started with and I ramped up consistently.   It sucks at first, but you will feel better from it and it will become a positive habit.  Try to go with stuff you enjoy and do it with a friend if you can.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views