Protein Shakes/Sick Tummy

slwths
on 8/22/12 6:41 pm
VSG on 08/27/12
I am in the pre-op diet and this week I have to drink 4 protein shakes a day and all my water.  The protein shakes are making my tummy feel sick...and the after taste is awful.  I have tried several different kinds, whey, soy, tri-protein and etc.  

I started looking at the ingredients in the shakes and there are so many words I can't even pronounce...so makes me think chemicals.  I am overweight, but it isn't from sweets.  I am wondering if the artificial sweetners and all the stuff in these shakes isn't agreeing with me.  

Does anyone know of any more "natural" options for this liquid/shake time for the next few days and for those post-op days that I will have to drink them?

I was doing well the first week of pre-op getting 2 shakes in...4 is just making me sick.

Thank you for your advice/help!

Shonda 

CandieHearts
on 8/22/12 8:45 pm - Orlando, FL
VSG on 05/17/12
My nutritionist suggested muscle milk light. I like the Cafe Latte flavor. She said the Body Fortress is good too. 1 scoop of the cookies n cream flavor with 8 Oz milk is about 35 grams protein and when my tummy don't feel good I go back to the shakes. They are good! Gets better after day four!

Good luck!

dec721
on 8/23/12 1:57 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Call your surgeon's office and tell them that the shakes are making you ill.  There may be some other alternatives for pre-op ... perhaps cream soups or broth or even high protein low carb (meats and green veg).  

Question: Does skim milk by itself make you nauseated?  If so, it may be lactose intolerance.  If not, maybe something as simple as Carnation Instant Breakfast might be a trade-off.

Nevertheless, call your surgeon's office!  and best wishes on your journey!

--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

slwths
on 8/23/12 2:31 pm
VSG on 08/27/12
 Thank you!  I did get some Carnation Essential Sugar Free. It seems to be settling better!

dec721
on 8/23/12 3:28 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Excellent ... and thank goodness!  This part of your journey will be over soon, and you'll be on to real life, HA!

--Dorothy 

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views