night shifters

lbush1977
on 8/27/12 4:49 am - IN
RNY on 08/15/13
Hi everyone, I am planning to get sleeved in a few months...basically still in the planning stages but I have been on here learning all kinds of things from everyones experiences. The one thing that I havent seen is what do people that work night shift do? I work nights and I know when I was doing weigh****chers I had a very hard time getting things in. For example you sleep all day Monday work 330 pm to 4am Tuesday morning then off work till Wednesday or Thursday. I am a nurse so I dont work your typical work week. A friens said to do it from the time you wake up till you go to bed dont pay attention to the "day" but after I got up "like on Tuesday" at 1 or so I would be back in bed around 11 that night and I could never get the points in and Im afraid it will be the same with my protein. Thanks to all
lowbrass03
on 8/27/12 6:34 am - houston, TX
VSG on 05/17/12
 hey 
i work at a hospital day and nightshift.  That was my concern as well. 
how i handled it was by staying hydrated , i had a 32 oz cup of ice water,or flavoured drink (sugar free most of the time)  in the breakroom and one at our hydration station. 
it was tempting seeing everyone eat all kids of stuff but in the end you know what you need to do. 

I would pack my own lunch and healthy snack. if that was not possible, i would buy some grilled chicken from our cafeteria and if that was not possible i would by grilled chicken patty from mcdonalds. 

ERnurseMN
on 8/27/12 4:49 pm - MN
Hi there - I am a RN also and work 3p-3a.  I haven't had any issues getting my protein in or H2O. I keep H2O with me at all times on my workstation and I also keep an insulated lunch tote with protein in it.  To be honest with you I eat more when I am working than when I am off.  It is okay to flucuate a little.  I find when i am working I need to eat every 2-3 hours to keep my energy up.  When I say eat I mean a piece of string cheese or lunch meat.  I am not eating meals per say. I usually eat lunch before my shift and then have a snack around 5 and then my dinner at 9 or so.  I then have a protein bar around midnight which lasts me until I wake up the next day at noon.  I was very worried about this before I went back to work but it has been fine.  On my days off my calories are a little lower and so are my carbs and protein but I still manage to get enough in. 

Just do the best you can and you will figure it out!  Best advice I can give you is pack your food and always have protein with you so you can avoid all the **** food sitting at the nurses station that everyone else is eating.  I also track everything in MFP so I know where I am at with my cals/carbs/protein at all times.

CW 232 SW 219    m1-17 m2-14 m3-13 m4-6 m5-9  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 450 views