Drinking before eating

Amy 2bhealthy
on 8/28/12 4:42 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
Being a revision, I am aware of the rule for the no drinking 30 minutes and 30 minutes after eating. I will say that was one of the most difficult rules during my band process....not necessarily the after, but the before...especially when dining out.

I had my preop class yesterday to go through all the VSG information and they went back over this and it got me thinking about it again.

So what do you all do when you go out to eat? Do you not order a drink at all? Usually, I still ordered a water and drank some of it when we first got there and then quit, which still gave me probably 15 minutes or so before food came. The dietician said it was because some of the water could stay above your stoma and then mix with the food to make it more of slider food. Just curious of opinions here from those experienced ones.

This is going to be one area I have to really work on.

Thanks!!

Amy

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

puttin4birdie
on 8/28/12 4:47 am
I haven't had much trouble with drinking before or after meals.  I have to be smart because if drink too much, I'll spit up the liquid (but usually not the food).  I realize my experience may not be like most others.  You just have to figure out how much you can handle, IMHO.
VSG on 6/6/2012    
itzmetinab
on 8/28/12 5:56 am - WV
VSG on 07/16/12
 I still order water in case I get choked...a weird & constant fear of mine!  I don't drink it though.

Highest weight:  294  Surgery Weight:  281  Goal weight:  150
M1 - 20.6 M2 - 16.6 M3 - 17 M4 - 11 M5 -10.2

susanjean
on 8/28/12 6:00 am - IN
At first I wasnt ordering any drink, and the waitress always looks at you kinda funny,,,,, now I just order water and just let it sit there!

sleevegirl
on 8/28/12 6:03 am - Austin, TX
I always order a water so they don't freak out. The wait staff gets confused.

I also drink right up until I eat, sometimes I'll wait a few minutes. Never been a problem. Liquid goes right out of my tummy

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Alexis K.
on 8/28/12 6:12 am
VSG on 07/30/12
I was told I could drink right up until I eat, but to wait at least 30 minutes after. So far, It's worked just fine for me.

chickerson605
on 8/28/12 6:43 am - La Vergne, TN
I always order water 4 lemon or lime slices and squeeze them into the water. If what I'm ordering needs a little sip I take a sip. My bariatric nurse said that a sip (not gulp and not drink) will be ok with a meal if you feel food is too dry.

Plus with that much lemon/lime and no sweetener a sip is ususally all I'll take but most of the time it just sits on the table. The wait staff is ususally more freaked out that I always ask for a children's menu.

Carolyn

Shagdoll
on 8/28/12 7:54 am
Hi Amy,
I actually will eat right after I drink water. So if I go to a restaurant, I will drink water before my meal comes but then I stop drinking once I start eating. I still follow the rule of not drinking 1 hour after eating. Sometimes I will wait even longer if I still feel pretty full because I like to keep that full feeling as long as I can.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Amy 2bhealthy
on 8/28/12 8:06 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
Thanks for all the replies! Some mixed responses, but that's to be expected. :) 

I will probably just have to see how I feel and what my sleeve tolerates. Sounds like if I "have" to drink before, it isn't as big as a deal as after, which I don't really have a problem with the after.

Thanks for the responses! 

Amy

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

C. Harvey
on 8/28/12 8:51 am
VSG on 01/11/12
i drink while i eat...nut and doc said it was fine aslong as it didnt make me sick..ive never been one to be able to eat without drinking

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 259 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views