Sharp pain in bottom right abdomen..common?

chocolateeri
on 8/29/12 6:34 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
 I am having some sharp pains in my bottom right abdomen, below my drainage incision, to the right of my belly button, where I feel the pain, there are no actual incisions. It happens when I walk, get up, laugh, stuff like that. It is a new pain that srated today. Naturally, I called my surgeon's office. They said it might be pain from internal stiches from when they removed my belly, but the only thing I could do is take Tylenol (which I did and it ididn't work-as expected), or go to the ER. I have already been to the ER this week for something else that they thought should get checked out, and it was nothing. They said they could also make an appt to see the surgeon, but this pain is common after 2-3 weeks post op, and I should stay active. WTH man! How can they expect me to stay active with a pain like this! It stops me in my tracks! I was supposed to be sent home from work today, but I just decided to wait it out sitting at my desk.

I am honestly tired of calling the surgeon's office. They always say to call and they can help, but everytime I call, they act all puzzled and just say "well if you think it's that bad, go to the ER". That's It!!! No help at all. Sorry, a little venting there, Anyways, has anybody else experienced this pain? Do you know what I am talking about?

Thanks in advance!

jessicae
on 8/29/12 6:41 pm
 when do you go back to see your surgeon for a check up?  i remember strange phantom pains but dont' remember exactly what they felt like so am not much help, sorry!  

if the pain is that severe then i would definitely either go see your primary or surgeon if you can wait until tomorrow.  if not, they are right- go to ER.  worse case scenario they tell you it's nothing.  but this soon after surgery you don't want to mess around.  err on the side of caution.  

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

chocolateeri
on 8/29/12 6:51 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
 Thanks, they did say that if I feel it when just sitting, then there is an issue, but since it is only when I move, it is most likely those internal stiches just irritating me, it sucks!, but since my hubby lost his job a week before surgery, and I ran out of PTO, I have to work, and I am short on money, can't do $80 everytime I go to the ER, so I will probably make an appt, no co-pay to see the MD.

Living4MyBabySon
on 8/29/12 7:27 pm - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
 Have you ever had gaul stones?  Is it a sharp pain that seems to be moving around? Your description of the pain and the area is right where mine was before i had emergency gaul bladder removal. ?  Maybe not but just throwing it out there.

Hope it gets bettef
MHarmon76
on 8/29/12 7:33 pm
VSG on 06/12/12
I had the same pains. It would double me over from it's intensity. Turns out it was the internal stitches and muscles. It should go away within a few days... just try hard to take it easy.
DOS: 06/12/2012 

Allie A.
on 8/29/12 11:09 pm - Canada
Lower right quadrant of your abdomen sounds like your appendix. It can get inflamed when debris (hardened fecal mater) gets lodged within the appendix. If your bowel movements havnt been the best recently, that could be a sign, or even the cause.

If you went to the Dr. With lower right abdominal pain, and hadn't had WLS they would look into appendicitis. Gallstone pain is in the upper right side but under your rib.

If it is appendicitis you'll know soon. From what I understand it can come on quickly, and it's intense.

That is my diagnosis. I'm not a real doctor, I only play one in my head.
wufnu
on 8/29/12 11:15 pm - Kingston, TN
VSG on 07/03/12
   I had a similar pain in the left side of my abdomen, after surgery.  It felt like when you go running after not exercising for a loooong time and you get that "stitch" there.  It went away after a week or two.  

carebear32958
on 8/30/12 12:58 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
Erin, I had the same exact pain, it actually just stopped yesterday! but before that it was constant when ever I stiood up, sat down, laid down or tried to bend over to far.  I assumed it was the stitches pulling and thats what the Dr told me today, they said best thing is to keep moving, sitting up and down it will go away as it heals.  And today it didn't hurt (knock on wood!! )  Hope u  feel better!
emelar
on 8/30/12 1:18 pm - TX
It sounds like normal post-op pain.  Remember, they had instruments inside  you moving them all around.  Things are sore and, yup, there are internal stitches that pull.  So, it's probably a pull or a muscle spasm.  But only you can tell how bad the pain really is, and if it's bad enough, then get it checked out.
jolenecsky
on 8/30/12 1:38 pm - Franklin, KY
VSG on 08/15/12
Hey girl! I had pain just like this, but it was in the upper left side of my abdomen. Nowhere near my incisions. It was horrible pain, and the only thing that made it better was to sit down. I got sick of it limiting my ability to move around, and at 1 week post-op, I started pushing through the pain and just kept doing whatever I was doing. Amazingly, it started getting better! I think it's true that staying active will help it. Even though it's super painful!! Now, I rarely feel the pain except when I lay on my side and go to turn over. I am pretty sure it's inner stitches of some sort that is causing the pain. I sneezed at about 5 days out, and it brought the pain up to a level 20!! I think it was tearing the stiches or something.

DOS: 8/15/12

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views