protein question

Italian-Princess
on 8/31/12 5:37 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Indra

When I had my surgery about 2 months ago, my surgeon, Nephrologist and PCP all knew I had Stage III Chronic Kidney disease.  My food plan started with 60 grams of protein a day and now it's at 70-90 grams a day.  I try for about 75-80 grams.  A month after my surgery, my Chronic Kidney Disease improved so much that I am now at Stage II -- with a great improvement in my GFR and creatinine levels.  One of the huge things, though, is if you are going to eat such a large quantity of protein, LOTS of fluids is a MUST -- not just for kidney disease patients, but for ALL bariatric surgery patients.

If the requisite amount of protein was a danger to me, none of my medical team would allow me to have that much.  Again, the fluids are not an option -- I drink and drink and drink.

If you have more questions, post them here, or feel free to PM me if you have kidney disease questions and the quantity of protein that's needed.

Good luck with your journey.

Ree
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/12 11:21 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
Ree,

I'm glad to hear your kidney disease is improved.  Was the kidney disease considered a comorbidity for the purposes of determining eligibility for WLS or was it considered to be a detriment?

Best wishes in your endeavors.

Lisa
Italian-Princess
on 9/1/12 4:57 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Lisa,

Yes, the CKD was considered one of my comorbs.  There are many studies coming out of India that show very good to excellent stabilization, improvement, and in rare cases "cures" in CKD patients who have bariatric surgery.  Some reasons are obvious -- we eat less, so all of our organs are less stressed.  With the low carb levels many of us adhere to, that helps Type II Diabetes which in turn puts less stress on our kidneys.  What is less obvious is why GFR and creatinine numbers improve so quickly.  There are two studies I found that had normal weight people having this surgery (CKD being one of their comorbs) and even THEY are getting these improvements.  So much needs to be learned.   In some ways, I'm lucky that my CKD is due to senile kidneys instead of being associated with Type II Diabetes.  It shows that even non-Diabetics can get their kidney function numbers improved.  Another thing is that now the surgeons who speak at my support group are now showing percentages regarding improvement in CKD with surgery in their lectures. 

When I went into this surgery, it was with the goal of improving my comorbs -- the weight loss was to be the BONUS that came with.  Not that I don't need to lose a lot of weight, that I do.  But I am lucky to have reached the age I have (65) -- some of my doctors weren't sure that could happen.  As soon as I learned that I  had CKD, I started making some changes in my diet and lifestyle -- that was almost 3 years ago.  I did get some improvement early on, then my numbers started going south slowly.  Since a month out of surgery, I've moved up so well and have my fingers crossed that the next blood panel done will show even more improvement.  If not, my medical team and I will address that.

Sorry to go on so much -- I'm just so grateful to have Myrtle and all she is giving me.  I want to educate others about CD -- we will all eventually face the lowering of our kidney functions the older we get.  One quick example:  an 80 year old person will have only about 20% of his/her kidney function left.........age will give the average of what our kidney function is at any given time.

Thank you for your interest.

I enjoy your posts -- honest, forthright and no crap!  It's the best way 

Ree

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views