Liquids success & straws

slwths
on 9/1/12 8:02 am
VSG on 08/27/12
 Yesterday morning I posted about not being able to get my liquids in. Well, yesterday I did!  It was hard and an ALL day process.  I am about 13 oz into today's total!

I have heard so many different opinions on straws. My front teeth are sensitive to cold and heat which makes drinking without a straw even more difficult.  Do you really take in that much air through a straw???i truly believe it would help me drink more if I used one. 

Thanks for your advice!

Lisa S.
on 9/1/12 8:10 am - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
A straw was my friend in the beginning. It prevented me from taking big gulps like I normally would have. And I was able to get more fluids in. I did not have a problem with too much air or gas in my tummy. Just sip slowly.

SmilinGal
on 9/1/12 9:05 am - TN
VSG on 02/28/12
I have always used a straw with no problem. They gave us straws in the hospital. Another one of those things the surgeons don't agree on...

Kelly-AnneH
on 9/1/12 10:11 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Try the straw. There was one on my tray in the hospital so I used it - so much easier! They really help if you aren't smitten with the smell or taste of protein shakes, too.

Theoretically they make you swallow more air but I didn't find that a problem.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Nadurra Deb
on 9/1/12 10:59 am - CO
VSG on 08/06/12
I find that if I'm trying to drink any amount of liquid at all, a straw (even a short straw spout) will make feel really bloated and I end up not being able to drink after a short while...consequently I don't drink as much. I have sensitive teeth to cold too and I seem to have adjusted. We take smaller sips so I don't seem to have the same issues with my teeth being bothered.

Getting in the fluids is the hardest for me! I have to set a timer...DRINK 5 min DRINK 5 min DRINK 5 min DRINK! LOL

Debbie          

YouTube WLS Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NadurraDeb

MuttLover
on 9/1/12 6:07 pm
VSG on 11/14/12
 I just got the bite and sip water bottle from Camel Back -- basically, you only get air in the first sip, then when you bite the straw, the liquid stays at the top of the straw -- so no additional air.

It's $20 though, so not sure if it's worth it!  LOL!
Kelly-AnneH
on 9/1/12 6:40 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
$20 is a bargain if it helps you avoid dehydration!

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views