One month out, how much should I be eating?

Grantus
on 9/5/12 4:57 pm
Hi, all

I was sleeved a month ago. I'm drinking a 6 to 8 ounce protein shake in the morning, then eating 3 to 4.5 ounces of food another three times a day. Does that sound about right?

Thanks,

Grant

momzy2ncec
on 9/5/12 5:13 pm
VSG on 07/17/12
What does your surgeons plan say? Being 7 weeks out I am barely able to eat 3 ounces. It also depends on what you are eating.

Grantus
on 9/5/12 5:15 pm
Thanks, I'm seeing the nutritionist on Monday, so that's a question I'll need to ask. I just don't want to stretch the stomach.

INgirl
on 9/5/12 5:18 pm
Hi Grant!

So, does it feel about right to you? Honestly this is a question no one can really answer since we don't have your particular stomach.. some are bigger, longer, some sleeves are made bigger or smaller.

If you have no discomfort, don't feel "stuffed" but just comfy and satisfied- then that's your answer. You don't mention the types of foods that comprise the 3-4.5 oz, that can have an impact as well.. At a month out- I could eat 4oz of yogurt or cottage cheese.. but put chicken in front of me and I'd have been lucky to get 1.5oz in me over the course of 40 mins!

Protein shakes are liquids, I could have drank 8oz or 24, made no diff to my stomach at a month out. I was having 2 shakes a day, and eating solids 4x a day in order to make my protein/cal goals. 2 shakes were needed back then due to the fact that my "meals" of meat mostly, were well under 2oz..
Grantus
on 9/5/12 5:31 pm
Thanks. It generally feels ok. I get some discomfort if I get toward 4.5 ounces, but it kind of happens suddenly. I probably need to back away from that amount, I guess.
INgirl
on 9/5/12 5:40 pm
Slow down.. Early out- eat slow, like I feel foolish to still be picking at this slow.. Your stomach signals take a fair bit of time to register to your brain, and a couple bites can send you past your limit. I wasn't joking when I said I was taking 40 mins on 1.5oz chicken! I don't need to eat that slow anymore, but it still takes me 20-25mins or so to finish 2.25oz and a few bits of veggies.

Eating that slow has saved me from ever eating to discomfort.. I only just recently ate too much and had a 20 min span of really regretting it.. and I was sleeved over a year and a half ago.
Grantus
on 9/5/12 5:52 pm
Thanks for the advice!
ToniMarie
on 9/5/12 6:21 pm - IN
Hello....I'm new as I'm just 2 weeks post surgery...Really excited, but wondering if I'm moving too fast on my diet.  The surgeon has been on vacation so not sure what I should be eating and the amounts.  I have started some soft food, but worried I'm eating too much already. 

Is it okay to have soft mashed potatoes?  I don't want to sound dumb, but really I don't know.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 265 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views