Extra medical travel insurance??

Missdede
on 9/9/12 5:02 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/10/12
 I'm looking for any information from Canadians traveling out of country for elective surgery.  I'm getting sleeved Oct 10 in Mexico and will purchase travel insurance, however, I don't think this is going to cover any "extra" coverage in case of complications while away stemming from my surgery.  I may be over thinking this but...what if something happened?

I fly in the day before surgery (San Diego) and fly home the day I'm discharged.  Flying to Edmonton, Alberta so relatively close.  So God forbid anything goes wacky I would be back home already.

Does anyone have any extra info they can pass on?  

Thanks Dee
Elbie
on 9/9/12 5:43 pm
 Personally, I always buy travel insurance when going abroad. It covers a lot of those "God forbid" scenarios. That being said, do your homework. Airlines Often offer travel insurance (which is the one I usually buy) but often it needs to be purchased within a particular period of time after purchasing your ticket, usually 7-10 days. Also many have "pre-existing conditions" waivers. Read the policy that you are going to be purchasing very closely. I am not sure if your surgery would exclude you. Good luck!
Allie A.
on 9/9/12 6:34 pm - Canada
 Not only would the pre-existing condition preclude you from insurance. But, the fact that the purpose of your trip is to undergo surgery, which has risks. The point i'm trying to make is that travel insurance is for people who are going for a vacation, who would generally avoid the hospital unless it was an emergency. 

There is insurance specifically for WLS medical complications. I bought it. I live in canada, and had my surgery in the states. It is called BLIS. It covers complications that are specific to your surgery; deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, stricture, obstruction, suture line complications etc. to name a few. 

The insurance is only for a limited time, but covers the most common problems requiring additional surgery, an extensive diagnostic testing. 

Mine was about $2,200. 

If you do purcahse travel insurance I belive it will only cover you for the days prior to your surgery. I would hate for you to purchase it, thinking it will cover surgery complications.
Missdede
on 9/9/12 6:46 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/10/12
 Thanks for the information.

I know the travel insurance won't cover surgery related problems, it was the insurance you purchased I was wondering about.  I wasnt able to find any out of country surgery insurance.  Wow, 2200.00 that's a chunk!
Kelly-AnneH
on 9/9/12 9:11 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I just had our regular travel insurance and my Alberta Health card. I was in hospital for 4 days and perfectly fine by the time we were driving to the airport.
We happened to stay down there for an extra few days - if you don't you're looking at $2200 for medical insurance that actually covers about a 7 hour period since once you're home your regular Alberta Health care card covers everything. (and your chances of having problems are extremely low - that's one of the reasons for choosing Dr Aceves, yes?)

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Missdede
on 9/9/12 9:26 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/10/12
 Exactly what I was thinking Kelly-Anne, a lot of money for 7hours.  Looking forward to coffee tomorrow!

Allie A.
on 9/11/12 9:54 pm - Canada
Sorry for the confusion guys. Let me clarify. BLIS insurance covered a bunch of the most serious and most common complications following VSG. It didn't just cover 7 hours. It covered me for 3 months following my surgery. If I was showing signs of a leak for example, they would pay for any diagnostic testing that was ordered, and pay for the cost of fixing the leak. This was a super important thing for me, because my costs were all out of pocket, and I couldn't afford to pay for the costs of any complications.

How can an insurance company do this? They only insure some surgeons. The surgeons they work with have THE BEST complication rates. BLIS has claculated the risk of these surgeons to be low enough that there is room fir them to profit. Room for profit-is the name of the insurance game. These surgeons go above and beyond the norm to keep their complication rates next to none. Example: risk of blood clots in legs from being immobile while under anasthetic, and recovering in a hospital bed. Most surgeons have you up and walking around ASAP. I wore inflatable leg pumps which mimic the pumping action of leg muscles when walking, keeping blood moving from the legs back to the heart. The insurance company has calculated the reduced rate of clotts in patients who wear them, and has made it a standard policy.

I just did a class on calculating insurance risk. Boring I know.

My surgeon performs in a hospital not an outpatient facility. I was scheduled to stay in the hospital for two nights. I ended up staying 3, no additional costs to me. It was worth it for me.

20,000 for surgery is steep, and 2,200 for insurance is expensive too. But, if there is one thing in the whole world where you get exactley what you pay for, it is medical services. I don't mind paying more to know I got THE BEST possible care available.
Islandertra
on 4/15/13 7:07 am - Courtenay, Canada
VSG on 05/15/13

Just wondering if you ever found out about travel insurance to another country as I to am looking at going to Mexico from Canada ? How did you do with Dr Acheves that"s who I am supposed to see.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views