Excercise?!

Eileen P.
on 9/18/12 10:01 am - NJ
I know exercise is an important piece in successful weight loss, and I know so many have referred to the Honeymoon Period where we should do our best to loose the most we can.  But right now I cannot exercise, I cannot even walk for very long...(back kills me).  I'm hopeful that as I get the weight off I will be able to exercise, but I know that's gonna take some time.  Does this mean I would not be doing everything I can to use this new "tool" to its fullest, and therefore compromise my potential weight loss?? 
(I get sleeved 10/8, God willing)

hmtaylor76
on 9/18/12 10:34 am
VSG on 06/25/12
My husband is a Certified Athletic Trainer and he said you can sit in a chair, march in place, do arm exercises. Any movement is exercise. If all you can do is walk from bedroom to living room, do it ten times before you sit down. Start slow and move forward. Good Luck!!
utahrob
on 9/18/12 10:34 am
I'm one week post op VSG (09/10/12) and I started walking before my surgery and that has helped me very much with the strength I needed following the surgery.  Now I'm walking daily and the weight is melting away.  Is there an exercise you can do which doesn't hurt your back?
INgirl
on 9/18/12 11:38 am
I'm in a different camp than many (or at least not that many say this).. just be as active as you can within your comfort zone and limitations. Being active means not sitting all day, it means puttering around, window shopping.. standing at your desk rather than sitting.. taking short little walks in the backyard to enjoy the birds or whatnot. Do that and very soon within months you'll notice you aren't hurting and you want to walk around a park rather than your yard.. Little steps that are sustainable will take you further in health than trying to start a regimen that you won't stick with for the long-haul. Weight loss comes down ultimately on your intake.

Exercise is great for mental health, weight lifting is great for overall cardio conditioning and metabolism (and bone health) but being active on a daily basis, keeping off your butt burns more throughout the day than a 3mi walk after dinner.. think about that one. Just my 2c, stick familiar disclaimer here..
(deactivated member)
on 9/18/12 12:04 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
^^^^^What she said!

I do think exercise is good for your overall health, but being active in your everyday life is more important. I know people who go to the gym for an hour and then feel like they've "earned" sitting on their a** for the rest of the day. I take the stairs v. elevator, park at the end of the parking lot, walk documents to my co-workers rather than email them etc. Eventually you'll do these types of things without noticing them.

So incorporate a regular exercise regimine if you can, and if you enjoy it (I, for example, love to swim), but if you're facing a medical issue or whatever, don't feel like you're going to fail. I start a jazzercise class next week because I thought it would be FUN!

Just eat right and lead an active full life.

IMO
carebear32958
on 9/18/12 2:18 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
Use small hand weights while you are sittting down and also resistance bands.  Look into a recumbant (sp?) bike.  I feel you on the back pain but personally I feel, weight loss surgery or no weight loss surgery, everyone does better health wise when you can add light exercise to your day.  Just like the prev posters said just getting up and walking a few feet around standing instead of sitting alot will help.  And also typically when you start to lose weight I have heard alot of people say their back pain got better.  Good luck, stick with it.  If its in your budet you may look into talking to a personal trainer and/or physical therapist who can give you some great exercises that won't add to your back pain!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 215 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 298 views