Preparing my home for post-op

Ladybug C.
on 9/19/12 4:02 pm
VSG on 10/11/12
I am trying to make sure I prep my home for everything I will need post op....I know what the surgeon suggests, but with some of yo having gone thru this already....what would you all suggest....also is Unjury only sold online?

Looking forward to the new ME!       
Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/19/12 7:21 pm - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
 I have only found Unjury online.

As far as your home: nothing special is needed really. I found it difficult to bend down to pick thing up so I used a BBQ tongs. My surgeons office gave me this grea****er bottle that has a strainer thing built in, which is sooo nice to drink from because it regulates the flow of water so you can sip easier. Don't know if you could find one of those online, but that was nice. 

Good luck to you!

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

pineview01
on 9/19/12 12:48 pm, edited 9/19/12 12:48 pm - Davison, MI
I only found Unjury on line but, liked the Nectar much better.  Make sure you have a
clear run way.  I had to move some furniture around so I could do bigger laps afterwards. 
I also had the protein powder in individual little bag on the counter.  No bending over and
picking up big jars.  Make sure you have ice.  I got a bag you refill from the hospital.  DH
got a bag from the store.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/12 6:06 am - GA
A pharmacy across from Surgeons office sold unjury and I was able to get sample packs of unjury products.  Check with your NUT Unjury maybe available near you.  A hand blender is good to have to mix the shakes. I also had sugar free Popsicles and sugar free jello on hand.   Nectar products are also good, and you can order samples.  I could only find Nectar online.
(deactivated member)
on 9/20/12 6:57 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
If you plan to use RTD or bottled water, make sure it is staged and you have enough to last you while you are recovering from surgery and unable to carry much. 

Taste buds frequently change during the journey so you want a variety of different protein beverages available.  What tastes great yesterday may taste like monkey butt today but will be yummy tomorrow.
INgirl
on 9/20/12 7:09 am
Catch up on any cleaning, laundry etc.. you won't be getting down to easily for the first week or so, so loading, unloading etc will want to wait. Have bolsters, pillows or whatnot ready to prop your upper body up in bed if you find laying flat out is sore (it was for me, and it also prevented me from turning on my side, which was painful for a few weeks.)

If you cook for others- pre-make some easy to reheat stuff and store in the freezer. That way they can help themselves even if you are feeling up for it.. it's just nice to know there's options avail.

I made a ton of home-made chicken stock and froz in 6oz sizes in the freezer.. I don't do sweet too well, and knew I was going to be sick of the sweeter protein shakes fast (Syntrax Nectars did save me though).. so chicken stock (so much better than canned/boxed) with unflavored protein powder & some spices as wanted was my routine immediate post-op protein source. 

ordinarybeauty
on 9/20/12 11:26 am, edited 9/20/12 5:30 am
VSG on 09/27/12
My surgery is 9/27 and my biggest home prep is having my DH available to get what I might need that I don't already have.

Also got protein samples (Unjury, Syntrax, Atkins) new blender (kitchen aide 5 speed), blender bottle, baby spoons, measuring spoons and cups, shot glass, extra cat food and litter (so DH won't have to go out to get it). My gal pals collected magazines so I have a ton to read, DH bought me a new nightie that doesn't touch my waist, and I made sure that all I would normally do for the first two weeks after surgery was or will get done before I go.

For the hospital, I made sure they had a copy of my living will and medical power of attorney papers. I will be bringing my new special nightie, chapstick, biotene dry mouth spray, my personal toiletries, my favorite pillow, some reading material, my smart phone and possibly laptop and DH who will spend the nights (the hospital will put me in a private room that has a sleeper sofa). I will be leaving my jewelry in the safe.

Did I miss anything?

Alice M.
on 9/20/12 5:34 pm - Taylor, MI
VSG on 12/03/12

Sounds like you  have it all covered plus some.  I'm taking notes for my 10-15 surgery!  Thanks

Never dreamed that I could feel this good about myself again.  Looking forward to many healthy years now.

SW (6/27/12) - 255   PreOp (12/3/12) - 210   

Ladybug C.
on 9/20/12 2:02 pm
VSG on 10/11/12
Omg you scared me with the living will
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op