Any one have the sleeve surgery for gastroparesis

tjserval
on 9/19/12 4:10 pm, edited 9/19/12 7:17 pm - KY
I was going to have the sleeve on the 17th of Sept. In the middle of the process for the surgery I was diganosed with gastroparesis. I have now lost too much weight to have the sleeve surgery now. My BMI is 33 it was 40. But I have done reseach and found where they do the sleeve just to help with gastroparesis. Does anyone know about this? I will have to pay for the surgery out of my own pocket because of my BMI being too low now. It would be worth it if it helps any with my GP. So you GPers out there did it hel*****t .
Thanks
Tonya
Ms Shell
on 9/19/12 5:18 pm - Hawthorne, CA
Were you in the process WHILE losing weight?  Often people lose weight while in the process can still have the surgery.

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

tjserval
on 9/19/12 5:47 pm - KY
Yes I was in the process then i got gatroparesis and starting losing weight. So by the time to have my surgery my BMI had drop to 33. I was approved had went through the whole process classes everything. Had my surgery date. Was then told that insurance would not pay once they learn that my BMI was below 35 (I have health issue) so I would have to be self pay so I had to cancel. They said that insurance goes by what  you weigh before you have the surgery not what your starting weigh was!!!
pineview01
on 9/19/12 5:49 pm - Davison, MI
Yes, if you lost weight during you are suppose to be ok to get below 35.  I have just gottan below and am in the same bind as they are saying the
last 9 months I did Atkins with the band don't count.  I'm about 33 right now.

Can you say ankle weights.  I started at bmi45,now they want to penilize me for losing?   I'm going to do what  I got to do.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

tjserval
on 9/19/12 7:13 pm - KY
I thought of weights in the bra!!! LOL but I didnt know there would be a problem so I saw the surgeon on Aug 21 and he put in my chart my current weight and BMI. So they said all of that gets sent to insurance and when they see that I was under 35 BMI they would not pay and I would have to pay everything!!! But they did say they do check for weights because they have had people do that who didnt weigh enough. Can you imagine that!!!! LOL
pineview01
on 9/19/12 8:07 pm - Davison, MI
Who checks for weights?  Does the insurance police come out and do a pat down?  Or does your doctor do the honors

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

tjserval
on 9/19/12 8:51 pm - KY
I guess the nurses at the doctors office. On my first visit we were chatting as they were getting ready to weigh me and somehow it came up about not weighting quite enough. She said they had caught people with weights on before. So I know they would check me since they now know i dont weight enough. They said even if I gain the weight it was too latye because the doctor wrote it in my chart that i was under BMI for thr surgery now. The insurance lady at the office said alkl of the doctor notes goes to the insurance and even if they did the surgery they wouldnt pay because of that note. She did tell me I could wait three months and see if i gain weight to get up to 35 BMI then they could try it again to the insurance office for approval. But with gastroparesis being so severe I not able to much of my protein shakes down right now it doesnt look like that would happen, I would propably be a lot less lighter then I am know. That the reason I asked about the sleeve helping GP. Because I'm not going to need it for weight loss now (which is unbeiveable!!!) been over weght my whole life. Never thought I would have a problem of being asked to gain weght!!!!  But insurance will not pay for the surgery for just gastroparesis alone only for weight loss even though there have been studies where it has help people who have that didnt need to loss weight. Most people with this diease have trouble lossing too much weight and cant gain it. There is no cure.
MrsClaus09
on 9/20/12 4:47 am
 Here's the thing....gastroparesis is very severe.  So severe many people have to be on TPN. Unless you are advised by a medical profesional that VSG is still a good idea and can help your gp, it probably isn't and can't.  Think about it...losing 80% of your stomach (which isn't working right to begin with due to your gp) likely isn't very wise unless your physician thinks it will have some sort of positive effect.  

Be well.
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
tjserval
on 9/20/12 10:49 am - KY
I know about gastroparesis I have it remember! I have the severe kind. My GP doctor and the weight loss doctor feel like it will help the gastroparesis systoms. (there is no cure) I was just wanting to hear from people who actually had the surgery and if it help them or not! But so far no one with GP has responded. I know there are people out there who have had it with gp. Columbia University done a study on doning the sleeve on people just for GP not just for weight loss and said they found it really help to either releive or get rid of their systoms! Help with the naausa ans vomiting and pain in stomach would be great. Been on liquid diet for around four months now. Starting to have trouble with the protein shakes going right through me. They are starting to talk about tube feeding. Any one that had VSG with GP let me know your thoughts!!!! Please!!!!

Tonya
MrsClaus09
on 9/21/12 5:16 am
I am well aware of GP as well - thanks.  My father lost his life in part due to GP so I know all too well about it - unfortunately.  IF a surgery was to help - and that's a big IF...you would likely want to consider RnY or DS over a VSG due to the gastric emptying.  I hate to say it but your best bet is another opinion with a physician who specializes in GP.  In addition, I would suggest you ask on both the RnY board and DS board if there is anyone there with GP who's been succesful with surgical intervention. The Columbia study involved 4 patients and they really have no idea as to why the gastric pacemakers had no impact on the patients or why the VSG helped - sadly, I see it being a good amount of time before this "treatment" goes anywhere.  And, as WLS is not known as any type of "cure" for GP...it is unfortunate that you will face hurdles in receiving treatment and/or insurance coverage for such a treatment.  

Best of luck to you - I hope you find something that helps.
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views