11 days post op update and Postop Rash - Horribly Itchy!!

Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/24/12 7:11 am, edited 9/24/12 7:14 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
So right after surgery, I started with this rash around my incisions. At 5 days postop it is starting to get worse, so I went in to my surgeon. He thought it was a type of yeast rash and gave me a prescription for cream and that the incisions themselves were closed and looked good, it was just the area around them that were the problem. The next day, 6 dpo it began to explode across my abdomen, so I went and saw my dermatologist and they said it was more of an allergic reaction to something from the surgery, what they didn't know. So they prescribed me a potent steroid cream to use 2x/day. On the Saturday morning of 8 days post op, I was miserable. The rash had spread across my abdomen and was super itchy, I couldn't sleep very well, and it was starting to drive me crazy! I was also worried it was going to turn into something worse or get infected if I didn't do something major soon. It was so frustrating! I called my surgeon in tears and told him. He said either to go the ER and get a steroid shot or he would call me in oral steroids. I started those Saturday afternoon and by today, Monday, 11 days postop, it is looking better!! It has a ways to go still, but is at least better. I have some other spots that aren't showing on the pics that are still more red, but I do think those are probably more of like a yeast rash and don't respond well to the steroid or something. I am at least HOPEFUL that this will take care of it! I just wanted to post this in case anyone else has the problem in the future. It hasn't been fun and I am just hoping this is the middle to the end of this! 

Other than this issue, my VSG surgery experience has been great!! Pain wise the biggest issue has been where my band port was. It is still a little tender, but getting better everyday. I believe I will probably have a knot there for a while, but what I have read, I think that is very normal.

I had my first experience feeling my sleeve "at work". I've had thinned out cream soups to the consistency a tiny bit thicker than my protein shakes which have been pretty thin, and have been able to have 1/2 cup without feeling anything really, and also a little thicker soups with no problems. I had a little bit thicker lentil soup blended but still not thick, and started with 1/4 cup. I am so glad I stopped there. I didn't feel bad at all, but I could start to feel a little something different. I had planned on having a little greek yogurt too, but opted to wait and see how this new feeling developed. I am so glad I did. I never felt bad, but just that I had enough and I think if I had one more little spoonful, I would have possibly felt bad. So... glad to know! And nope, 1/4 cup isn't much food! :) I wonder if maybe because it has extra fiber in it, if maybe that caused it to be that way too, moreso over some of the other soups I've had. Also, I had been wondering how my sleeve was because I have been able to get my fluids in no problem and have been able to drink faster than a sip sip much more quickly than I anticipated. Of course the negative side of me is thinking, oh great, my sleeve is bigger, lol... Anyways, that was my experience.

Also, I was just wondering how some of you band to sleevers have posted your weightloss. I currently have my ticker and all setup from my highest weight. Did you do that, or do you have your stats all based on VSG starting weight? 

Thanks for reading! 

Hopefully these pics of my rash work:
  • rash Sept 2012 5 days postop
  • So for some reason this is upside down. 5 days postop
Edited for: ***The darker spots on my incisions are where the glue is and has some clothing fuzz on them. I don't want to pull the glue off, so that is just the way it looks for now.

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

hollykim
on 9/24/12 8:06 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
oh my...almost looks like it has been galdes or something...were you using any kind of "scar go away" cream or anything else around the area? looks like something topical has actually burned the skin there... hope the steroids clear it up completely.

keep us posted

Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/24/12 8:27 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
No, I never used anything on it. My incisions were covered in a glue, so there were no bandages or anything. My surgeon's instructions were to leave them alone, just le****er run over them in the shower, but don't scrub or anything and that is what I did.

Ugh... I just can't decide if it is getting better quick enough or if something else is going on too. One person mentioned maybe it could be a bacterial infection like strep and would then need antibiotics to treat. I just called my dermatologist again to see what they think. 

Thanks for your reply.

Amy

hollykim
on 9/24/12 8:40 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
yeah,my next thought was a STAPH infection,which is a very serious thing you want to get rid of ASAP. INSIST that somebody do something soon,don't let it go on too long...

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/12 8:40 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
I'm at work and can't see the pictures.

I was itchy post-op and used topical clear Benadryl gel to stop the itching.  You might want to ask your surgeon about using Benadryl, either the gel or an oral dose, to help with it, in combination with the steroid cream.

If you can, avoid doing anything that makes you sweaty until it clears up.

Feel better soon.
Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/24/12 3:42 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
I started using the benadryl cream first before it got larger. I also took the oral benadryl too.

I guess I just need to chill and see what happens.

Thank for your reply.

Amy

Stephanie M.
on 9/24/12 8:48 am
 I had this after my band surgery and what worked was exfoliating.  I used one of those scrubby pads that has terry on one side and a "loofa" like material on the other, wet it, soaped it up and gently scrubbed the area that was red.  I applied Benadryl GEL after and that helped.  After 2 weeks of scrubbing daily, it was just about gone.  I started the rash at 10 days and it lasted over a month.  It was a reaction to adhesive used during surgery.  It didn't happen with my gall bladder surgery last year, same doctor and hospital, but it was noted in my records about the prior reaction.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/24/12 8:57 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
You were able to see the pics? And yours looked very similar? How in the world did you keep your composure not to think it was something much worse?? I have started using a loofa over the weekend and scrubbing on it. I guess I will see how it progresses.

Thanks for your reply.

Amy

Stephanie M.
on 9/24/12 3:35 am
 I have pics on my profile...I didn't panic because I wasn't feeling ill at all.  If you had an infection like staph or mrsa you would have some other symptoms, like fever, fatigue, foul odor, etc.  Gold Bond powder helped a bit too.  
Hope the loofa helps.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/24/12 3:40 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
Ok, thanks.

I tried looking at your profile, but couldn't get there for some reason. Maybe it would help if  you would you add me as a friend? 

Thanks!! 

Amy

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views