Funny visit at the Cardiologist

MuttLover
on 9/23/12 5:23 pm
VSG on 11/14/12
Here's an excerpt from my cardiology pre-op:
Doc - Can you go up stairs?
Me - No.
Doc - Looks puzzled.
Me - I point to the knee-high storm trooper boot beside her ( I have Achilles tendonitis)
Doc -- Oh. Well, when you could go up stairs, did you have any trouble.
Me --I try to avoid stairs -- I have trifocals.
Doc - Do you get winded carrying laundry  up or down stairs?
Me -- I don't carry laundry up or down stairs. I have trifocals. I will fall and kill myself.
Doc -- Laughs. Says these are standard assessment questions. Then asks if I get winded when I run the vacuum cleaner.
Me -- I don't run the vacuum cleaner. 

I just wonder -- do they ask men if they get winded running the vacuum cleaner or carrying laundry?
(deactivated member)
on 9/23/12 5:29 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
Watta jerk.
ShannonPAC
on 9/23/12 7:39 pm - MI
OMG, that is so funny! When I ask people cardiovascular questions, I say, "Can you walk around the block?" or "Do you feel out of breath with activity?" You have to get a feel for what people do in their daily lives to know what to ask! If someone says they don't do activity, I ask why...sometimes it's knee/hip/other issues, but other times it's because they get short of breath! Patients will tell you if you ask the right questions.

If you were my patient, I would have thought you were hilarious...then again, I wouldn't ask sexist questions. 
Shannon (mommy to a 4 year old and 6 month old)
Sleeved May 2009 and haven't used my tool properly.

It's taken me awhile to get back here, but I'm back and ready to commit.
MuttLover
on 9/23/12 8:04 pm
VSG on 11/14/12
 LOL!  Funny thing is, this was a female cardiologist!  I have a friend who is nurse and she told me that she asks if a person gets winded bringing in the groceries -- but her favorite -- she asks if they walk around the Walmart or have to get a motorized cart!  
ShannonPAC
on 9/23/12 8:07 pm - MI
That is a great question (walking around Walmart vs the motorized cart!). I will have to use that one!
Shannon (mommy to a 4 year old and 6 month old)
Sleeved May 2009 and haven't used my tool properly.

It's taken me awhile to get back here, but I'm back and ready to commit.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views