Prilosec

Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/23/12 5:42 pm - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
I am going to call my surgeon's office to clarify, but wanted to ask here too.

My surgeon said to take Prilosec for 6-12 months after surgery. I am guessing we will discuss this at my visits to determine how long for sure. I never took this before and I didn't realize the directions on the box says to take the 14 day regimen in the box and then wait 4 months before taking anymore. I am guessing this isn't pertaining to me/us? I took the instructions from my surgeon to be to take one pill each day until we determined it was safe to stop. Would you agree? 

Thanks.

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

Sarah W.
on 9/23/12 6:29 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
The Prilosec box says that because hb symptoms can also mirror other more serious issues and they don't want to be liable for someone continuing to take the product without medical supervision. Follow your surgeons recommendations. The Rx Prilosec is 40 mg if that makes you feel better the OTC 20, I think.

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

ShannonPAC
on 9/23/12 12:16 pm, edited 9/23/12 12:16 pm - MI
The original course for GERD/esophagitis was 2 weeks (it is now up to 8 weeks according to my phone drug guide, but many people take it ongoing). As PP mentioned, they don't want to be liable if you have something bad and are taking it ongoing.

Rx Prilosec comes in 20 mg and 40 mg. You can get the 20 mg OTC also though. (I think it also comes in 10 mg for what it's worth -- not that anyone ever takes it!).

But if your surgeon says to take it 6-12 months, that is what you should do. You can get it cheap in generic OTC; it's called Omeprazole.

It is also recommended that you take it 30-60 minutes prior to meals.
Shannon (mommy to a 4 year old and 6 month old)
Sleeved May 2009 and haven't used my tool properly.

It's taken me awhile to get back here, but I'm back and ready to commit.
Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/23/12 8:07 pm - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
 Thanks. I figured it was still daily for the 6-12 months, but then I got to second guessing myself if I understood my surgeon correctly or if I was supposed to take, wait, then take again in that time frame. Daily makes sense, I am sure that was my surgeons intentions too. I just read into the packaging wrong.

Thanks again. 

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 98 views