Diabetics

Pollyanna16
on 9/26/12 9:29 am
VSG on 12/28/12
Just starting my journey. From the posts I've read, it sounds like you are eating Atkins diet. Correct me if I'm wrong, Just trying to learn . So I figured I would try high protein, low carb today. I did well till dinner when my blood sugar dropped, I'm a diabetic. Started craving carbs like crazy. Any diabetics out there I would like to hear how you handle this. Thanks

lucy2e
on 9/26/12 10:04 am - Laurel, MD
Hi Pollyanna,

I'm not diabetic - so no help there.

Different surgeons have different diet plans.  Mine is not adkins - on my plan you eat every 3 - 4 hours, start your meal with lean protein.  Have veggies.  With 2 of your meals you can have 1 serving of starch - like 1 slice of bread or 1 serving of baked chips.  With the other meals you have 1 serving of fruit.  Some of the other rules are no beverages over 8 calories per serving (8 oz) - it's too easy to drink your calories.  (Protein shakes don't follow the 8 calories per serving rule).

Good luck! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Airpun79
on 9/26/12 10:25 am, edited 9/25/12 10:27 pm - Jacksonville, FL
For some reason my entire response will not show up. I'll send you a message. -Larry

HW: 360      SW: 351             CW: 212         GOAL: 200 
Monthly Weight Loss Progression:
M1:-46 M2:-24 M3:-14 M4:-17 M5:-9 M6:-13 M7:-7 M8:-5  M9:-1 M10:-3 M11:-8 M12: -10

lolabigcups
on 9/26/12 11:09 am - Napoleon, OH
VSG on 10/05/12 with
I have been on my full liquid diet for 5 days and my blood sugar keeps getting very low in the evening.I have eat a tsp of peanut butter to help stabilize it at bedtime until morning.I am struggling,I am doing the atkins shakes but am still hungry! I have another entire week to go.
Greg M.
on 9/26/12 11:19 am - Cincinnati, OH
The Atkins diet can be very high in fat and most practices don't endorse that.  Dr. Curry's practice concentrates on lean protein, 60 - 100 grams per day and complex carbs at < 60 grams per day. 

If your blood sugar is getting low and you are on medications, your dosage should probably be reduced to match your new diet.  The surgeons practice should be all over that and work with your primary care doctor to tailor your medication to your new diet.

How low is your sugar going?

After a week or two of low carbs, that craving will ease up.  Hang in there and good luck!

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

Pollyanna16
on 9/26/12 11:38 am
VSG on 12/28/12
Thanks for answering. Sugars are going down to 50 i****ry to catch it and eat something to bring it back up before it gets that low.

Do you like Dr Curry? I decided to have him do my surgery, have an appointment Oct 18th to start my journey. Anything else I should know about Dr Curry's practice? I read the reviews on him, they are good

Greg M.
on 9/26/12 11:50 am - Cincinnati, OH

Dr. Curry and his staff are all wonderful!  You're in good hands with him.  Write your questions down and he'll answer them all.  The presurgery program is very good as well.  In the presurgery program they discuss adjusting your meds with the new diet, 50's are pretty low.  I would ask your PCP right away about that. 

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

SophieNJ
on 9/26/12 11:31 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13
Do you have an endocrinologist for your diabetes? If not, ask your surgeon to recommend someone they work with, so you know they are familiar with wls special needs regarding diabetes.
Good luck!
Pollyanna16
on 9/26/12 11:44 am
VSG on 12/28/12
My PCP has been taking care of diabete for a while, as long as its been stable, But I have an Endo appt in Nov. Thanks for responding.

Italian-Princess
on 9/26/12 12:47 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Pollyanna

The food plans from the surgeons and nutritionists are not Atkins.  Atkins is very high in fat.  What we do is eat a lot of very lean protein -- preferably dense protein.  If there is room, we can have a tablespoon of veggies -- preferably something like cooked broccoli or green beans for example.  Carbs are kept to a minimum for most people.  This is the plan after you are on to  foods.  Prior to that, you have clear fluids, then full fluids, then pureed/mushies, then soft foods.  Some plans call the stages by different names, but that's the general idea.

I have Type II Diabetes..........it is in total remission and I do not take any meds at all for it.  I haven't had a fasting glucose reading above 95 in almost 3 months.  I'm just about 3 months out now.  It was great leaving the hospital knowing I didn't have to take any meds for it.

I had no pre-op diet, but I made up one for myself for the 10 or so days before my surgery.  It was based on high protein, very low carb plans that I learned on OH.  One of the benefits of eating that way prior to surgery is that I detoxed from carbs and didn't have to deal with that post-op.  Yes, the cravings came, yes, my glucose dropped, but I stayed the course -- just like so many others have done.  After the second or third day, the cravings were gone and it was easy to eat high protein, low carb.  After surgery, eating that way becomes a habit very quickly.

I did use cheese sticks to help me through the low glucose times.  There are enough carbs in cheese to boost your glucose.  You don't want to jeopardize your health doing this diet pre-op without your surgeon's or nutritionist's supervision.....or a least get their go-ahead to do it.

The first thing I would do is ask your surgeon for his eating plan.  Then see if you can follow it closely.  Getting refined carbs out of your diet now should help you later.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.  I'm more than happy to try to help you.  OH is a great place to find guidance, support, and encouragement. 

Post often, read the board regularly -- there's a lot to learn. 

Welcome aboard!

Ree
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views