Head Hunger

Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/28/12 3:42 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
Been dealing with a bit of head hunger this week. It is a little worrisome being so early out, but maybe that is normal, I don't know. I know it isn't true hunger...

A couple things I've learned this week.

1. Don't eat it if it doesn't "hit the spot" because it just makes your head hunger worse.
2. Pack as much flavor into that 2-3 TBSP you can!
3. Drink lots of water and protein. Sure helps!

My favorite this week, Eggface's Ricotta Bake. I can only eat about 2 TBSP. I had it last night and felt very full for several hours after. I wasn't going for full, but I didn't realize only 2-3 TBSP would make me feel that. I think it is because it much more dense than anything else I've had thus far. For lunch today, I backed off to  1 1/2 - 2 TBSP and added a thin tomato sauce with a melted Laughing Cow and it sure hit the spot! Yum! 

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

Shelleywithaney
on 9/28/12 4:08 am - CA
 Good info.  

Kind of off the subject but I love the photo (aviator) of haniela pier . Did you take the photo?
Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/28/12 4:20 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
Thanks, I just found it online....I wish I'd taken it though! :) It is very peaceful feeling!

Amy

rhearob
on 9/28/12 4:14 am - TN

This is a good time to start working on the root of your head hunger?  What are your triggers - Stress?  Loneliness?  Yearning?

Do a good feelings inventory.  Start journaling how you feel when you are having head hunger.  Once you start getting a grip on what your triggers are then you can develop tools for dealing with those.  Then you can really start getting a grip on Head Hunger.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/28/12 4:19 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
I agree. I was in therapy earlier this year and plan to get back to it again, which I think helped.  Honestly, I think the real thing going on is mostly TASTE. I yearn for the taste...I must have overactive taste buds or something!! LOL... My therapist had me working on reducing my need for instant gratification. Makes sense. I think some of this was probably just boredom too...I am working, but procrastinating and wanting something to do besides work. I work on my own schedule and just have to get the work done sometime/somehow and in a home office. Makes it more difficult sometimes.

I really like the journal idea too...I need to do that. Thanks!

Amy

rhearob
on 9/28/12 4:31 am - TN

It sounds as if we have very similar lifestyles.

My advice - be careful of labels.  Early on I would chalk things up to "boredom" and things like that.  I had to dig deeper, which hurt sometimes, to get to the real root of things.  The labels made them safe.  I could deal with boredom.  What I couldn't deal with was loneliness or fear of rejection or many other things.  Boredom - even though I was never really bored, I always have things to do, things that interest me - was a safe label.  If I was calling it boredom I never really had to deal with what I was really feeling.

I use a technique from root cause analysis called the 5 why method.  I keep asking myself why until I do that at least 5 times, like this:

1.  I am hungry - Why?  I just ate.

2.  I am bored - Why?  I have things to do.

3.  I don't want to do those things - Why?

I also like a lot of taste and texture in my food.  Be really honest with yourself about what you are looking for.  I always tell people that you have to be more honest with yourself doing this than you would be with God on judgement day.  The only way to really learn to deal with this effectively is to identify whats really going on inside.

Are you still going to group?  I got a lot of help and a lot of tools from my support groups.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/28/12 5:04 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
Man, you're just hitting the nails on the head today! :) 

I do think there is some loneliness going on here too. I have employee's but they aren't here during this time of year very often, so it does get lonely working by myself and not having tons of interaction with others. I need to work on fulfilling that need better. An ideal way would be to get involved in some exercise classes or something like that, to kill two birds with one stone. I am sure I have some other acceptance and things going on deeper too...

I need to go to the group. I am just 2 weeks postop, I think they will have another meeting in 2 weeks. I need to go. I have a work conference next week, so that will be nice to have more interaction with my co-workers again too, but also challenging on the eating end.

Thanks for all the thoughts today. I appreciate your feedback.

Amy

mcmanis
on 9/28/12 3:06 pm - CA
VSG on 08/29/12
My best trick to deal with head hunger is eat a pop cicle

HW-300 SW-259.5 CW-175 GW-140
M1:24 M2:15 M3:14 M4:4 M5:12 M6:8 M7:7 M8:0 M9:0 M10:5

Most Active