Big Stumble.

Pinkchickadee
on 9/29/12 8:41 am
 I am a  week into my  3 week preop diet and I got my  period (sorry men) yesterday. I am  only allowed protien  shakes and  water for the whole three weeks  but I have been soooooooo flipping hungry  that I screwed up and  had some  chicken and potato chips and now I feel like  crap. Seriously.  I  am  going to get  back on  track as of this  second but I  could really  use some encouragement.  Two more weeks of this and then the  surgery day. 

Starting Weight:275 CW:189 SW:??  Goal:169

moonglo82
on 9/29/12 8:45 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Try not to beat yourself up too badly. You are right to get back on track right now (not even wait until tomorrow), but this one slip-up shouldn't totally derail you.

The pre-op diet is the worst part of the entire journey for many people because you are being required to behave like you have already had surgery but still have your entire stomach. Many, many people struggle during the preop diet to some degree.

You can do this! Focus on finding ways to stay busy for the next two weeks, and you'll be sleeved before you know it!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Pinkchickadee
on 9/29/12 8:50 am
 Thanks Moonglo. I am sick of  felling  hungry ALL the time. I am  going to  wait until I am  hungry again and  go back to the  shakes and  water. I have never been so jealous of those who don't  have a  preop diet! lol

Starting Weight:275 CW:189 SW:??  Goal:169

Pollyanna16
on 9/29/12 8:57 am
VSG on 12/28/12
this is your journey, don't worry about what others are doing or not doing. Just know you are going through the worst and this too shall pass. Hang tough, You can do it!

moonglo82
on 9/29/12 8:58 am
VSG on 03/29/12
If it was me, I wouldn't wait until I was hungry to start back with the water.  I would be constantly sipping on something.  This will be great practice for the immediate post-op days when you will have to constantly sip in order to stay hydrated, and it may help you to keep the hunger at bay to an extent.

I would also set a schedule for my protein drinks.  Maybe plan to have one every three to four hours or so... and stick to the schedule, rather than waiting until you feel hungry.  If you wait for the hunger pangs to hit, the shake may not feel like enough, and you may find yourself more tempted to slip up again.

Whatever you do, don't give up!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Alice M.
on 9/29/12 9:12 am - Taylor, MI
VSG on 12/03/12
 Sounds like great advice Moonglo.  I will be starting my pre op in a week and will keep your suggestions in mind.  Just don't give up and stay strong.  Let us all know how you do.  I will be anxious to hear about any helpful hints for my time.  Keeping a good thought for you.  Love

Never dreamed that I could feel this good about myself again.  Looking forward to many healthy years now.

SW (6/27/12) - 255   PreOp (12/3/12) - 210   

moonglo82
on 9/29/12 9:14 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Good luck, Alice!  I'm sure you're going to do well :)

theshrinkingmimi
on 9/29/12 9:23 am
I avoided hunger (after the first 2-3 days of course) by constantly drinking something.  I also did as little physical activity as possible. -no exercise, a lot less cleaning. I didn't go out to socialize (yes I was asked but simply said no), and there was no need to go to the grocery store.  I wanted to preserve energy and avoid temptation. I did a lot of reading when not at work. 

My pre-op was 2 weeks liquid. I was able to get a protein smoothie at one of those smoothie places.  I got a kid-sized one whenever I thought that I was about to crack. It served its purpose just a couple of times.

Warning:  You can recover from this slip. But if you slip repeatedly, it will increase the torture.  The first few days of this is the hardest. You don't want to keep re-experiencing the first few days.

Dust yourself off and move on. You are doing this for a reason. You will eat again.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
jennydemerice
on 9/29/12 10:42 am - Gonzales, LA
The pr op diet was hard...you stumbled but did not fall!  I am proud of you...dont give up.  You CAN DO THIS!!!
Jenn

sleevegirl
on 9/29/12 1:04 pm - Austin, TX
Okay, if you're going to screw up, chicken was probably the thing to screw up with (not so much with the chips, but it's done).

The question is... what do you do tomorrow? I hope you pick yourself up and get back on the horse. You MUST stick with it. It SUCKS, I know! Trust me. Around day 3, I was a raving lunatic.

((HUGS)) you are going to be fine... just get back to it.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 75 views