New to all of this, on day 3 of pre-op diet

christina88
on 10/3/12 12:07 pm
Hi everyone, I had my 1st appt on monday, so its day 3 of the pre-op diet and i need to lose close to 30 lbs, which seems like alot! Looking for some ideas of healthy meals and snacks to eat. I have been drinking a TON of water throughout the day, at least 20 mins before and after meals. I am hoping to have a surgery date at least a couple weeks before christmas so i can enjoy the holiday!! A friend of mine also had this surgery abot 14 mos ago and is very happy she did, it took her 2 months to lose the 28 lbs. Does it usually take around 2 months if you stick with it and excercise???
Calking
on 10/3/12 4:43 pm
VSG on 05/31/12
The best answer is that everyone has a different and unique experience.  Some can loose that way easier than others.  

On my surgeon's plan I needed to loose 10 pounds in 2 weeks pre op.  I lost 13 most of it in the first week.  I did hear that another person lost 25 pounds in that same two week pre op diet.  It wasn't fun but I did it and it greatly prepared me for the post op plan.  

Here is what I did.  Optifast 800 ... 3 protein shakes and 2 protein bars per day.  I was allowed to cheat with celery, cucumber, sf jello, or sf popsicles if I needed to.  The shakes come in three flavors, chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.  I could mix and match but took all chocolate.  The protein bars also came in a variety of flavors such as chocolate brownie, chocolate peanut butter, berry yogurt, and I think one other I can't recall.  I also had an option of two soups instead of the bars.  I figured a soup (mostly broth) wouldn't fill me as much as a bar.

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner 8 oz protein shake
In between snacks a protein bar (2 per day)

To be honest I was so worried about loosing the weight I ended up not drinking the third protein shake every day.  The plan has you take 3 to 3 1/2 hours between each thing.  

After the 3rd or 4th day I was ok with the plan.  The first few days weren't fun at all.  This plan is designed for 100 carbs per day and 1000 calories per day.  If you do decide to do this and are on diabetes meds you will need to talk about the plan with your doctor (the one that prescribed the meds) so that you can make adjustments for only getting 100 carbs per day.  For me, I was on two meds, metformin twice per day and glimepiride once.  With this diet I was taken off glimepiride and one dose of metformin.  The week before surgery and ever since I have not taken any meds.

Another side effect of this was my blood pressure meds.  I had to cut back on those as my blood pressure dropped.  Like my diabetes meds ... no more blood pressure meds ... was on 2 of those as well.

Optifast 800 is the name of the protein shakes and bars ... it isn't cheap.  Unless you look at it in terms of what you normally spend per day on food. http://www.amazon.com/OPTIFAST-Chocolate-Ready-Drink-Cartons /dp/B005GDEGSI  On Amazon.com link it is a little over $100 with shipping for a 9 day supply and the bars are $25 plus shipping per 7 which is only 3 1/2 days although it looks like they have a 42 bar pack for $139 plus shipping. That would be 3 weeks worth on the 2 per day plan.

I personally would google them and find them cheaper.

On final note ... a friend has a recipe blog for people who have had wls and welcomes anyone to look through and contribute to them.  More than 100 recipes.  Good Luck

http://www.schronce.net/forum/index.php?16

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

christina88
on 10/4/12 3:38 am
Thank you for responding! I will definately look into the optifast 800 if it works! Thats good that you can still eat a little something healthy in between.
morgans
on 10/4/12 6:11 am
VSG on 06/18/12
I had a week pre-op "plan"  which was basically a shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch, and a sensible dinner. Since I eat a lot of Thai, sushi, Indian and salads it was easy peasy.

Drinking a lot of water is the way to go.

christina88
on 10/4/12 10:42 am
sounds good, just went to GNC today and bought some chocolate protein shakes which actually taste good, had 1 for dinner. Thinking of trying that tomorrow for breakfast and lunch then veggies and chicken or fish for dinner!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views