Liquid Diet

pml_rs
on 10/4/12 2:38 am
I am finally approved for surgey and I have started my liquid diet yesterday.  I'm very excited about it.  I hate the liquid diet...but who doesn't, right?  I'm sure it will get easier...right??? Yesterday I had 3 protein shakes from Bariatric Fusion and tomato soup.  Today I have had my breakfast and now some chicken flavored protein shake.  Very yummy!  I needed the salt! : )  Please tell me this gets easier.  I want "everything" which I know is part of a problem in my head.  But seriously, tunafish looked great last night.  Popcorn that my DH made smelled DELICIOUS.  :(  Are we allowed to have other drinks like broth and stuff inbetween the shakes?
Sarah W.
on 10/4/12 2:47 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
Congrats on the surgery date. It will be here before you know it.

I was allowed to have at least 64 oz of clear liquids including sf jello and even G2 in addition to my 4 shakes a day I could make with water, unsweetened almond milk or skim milk. I was allowed to have an egg, boiled chicken or turkey if I only thought I was absolutely going to die and I'd had all my shakes and my water/fluid.

Each surgeon has their own plan if you have ?s you should call them so you are in compliance with your doctors plan.

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

pml_rs
on 10/4/12 2:56 am
thank you!  i'm not only getting ready for surgery, but I"m moving to a new house and my book is in storage.  I didn't antcipate surgery date so quickly, my sister recently passed away and I have a procedure before the surgery so things are FLYING by!  : )  My life is about to change all the away around and I"m really looking forward to it! : )
NeedsSleep
on 10/4/12 3:28 am - IL
VSG on 09/20/12
 I found the protein shake REALLY easy. It was the clear liquids part that was tough. I freeze cholcolate Muscle Milk in an ice-cube tray and then blend it with skim milk.  It tastes just like a McDonald's milk shake.

It does get easier. I'm 15 days post op today and enjoying my first protien shake right now!

Good luck!

HW: 292 - SW: 237 - GW: 165

(the first 55 lbs. was from Weight Watchers, over 2 years)

tlpldy
on 10/4/12 3:41 am
I am not preop or postop, but I have done a liquid diet before.  I can say that in about five to seven days you feel much better.  Don't be surprised if you are tired, weak, irritable, or feel a little funny in general during these next few days.  it is your body adjusting to not having sugars.  If it gets completely out of control, eat three crackers and move on. 

Of course, you have to do what your doctor suggests, but I was told when I was on a liquid protein diet to drink as many protein shakes as I needed to get through the day.  The concept is to adjust your body.  In a few days you will find that the cravings get better, and the hunger subsides some.  just my experience. 
tlpldy
on 10/4/12 3:42 am
oh..and yes, I think any clear liquids would be fine to add in, chicken broth, sf jello, etc.  Just no juice, or soda, or tea, etc.  Making the shakes with milk helps too, they feel more substantial in the tummy, but milk does have some natural sugars, so if it causes you issues, don't use it. 
Pinkchickadee
on 10/4/12 4:00 am
 Well I can tell you it  gets a  bit easier.  I am on day 11 of a 21 day  preop diet  (and I am  only allowed protien shakes and  water). I still want to  eat things. Lot's  of them actually.  I am  just trying to  keep busy. That was the  best advice someone  gave me.  Kepp busy and it  will be  easier.  I am down 14 pounds in 10 days and  that helps too.  Dig  deep, apparently  this is the  hardest  part.  You can do it!!

Starting Weight:275 CW:189 SW:??  Goal:169

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 267 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views