8 days post op - have reflux - can't take Pepcid or PPI's - now what?

Ohiogirl
on 10/10/12 12:11 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 I'm having a dry cough(mostly at night) epigastric pain, feeling of fullness (I'm still on full liquids) so I'm pretty sure it is reflux.   I started out on 40mg of Pepcid - PA today told me to up Pepcid to twice a day - called nephrologist cause I only have one kidney - he said no to the increased dose (hard for kidney to excrete).  It was too late to call PA back but I know most people are on PPI's - my program suggested PPI's at surgery time but I have no tolerance for the side effects - I tried them before - headache, nervousness, muscle pains, diarrhea, etc.  

Is there anything else to take????  Any suggestions besides the usual - sleep upright, avoid food or drink before bedtime (hard to do since I am so early on and fighting to get the protein and liquids in).

Any suggestions???

Paula
peazwithin
on 10/10/12 1:53 pm - Tallahassee, FL
VSG on 10/02/12
Paula, mY prayers go out to you right now. I hope some of the Vets will post or please do a search on reflux to see if there is any info on this site or VerticalSleeve Talk.com. I am eight days out so I am way to new to advise. Know that I am sending prayers and hugs that you get thru the night.  Keep us posted on how you are doing as I know you will call your PA first thing in the am. Have you thought of leaving a  message for your DR? They will call you back with instructions after hours. At least mine will.  {{hugs}}
Shelia
Ohiogirl
on 10/10/12 2:19 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
Thanks for replying. I'm not in extreme distress so I decided to wait til morning to call PA. I have had so many pre and post issues - I just hated to call after hours for a non- emergency.
How are you doing? I love hearing from my sleeve twins.

Paula
(deactivated member)
on 10/10/12 2:41 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13
peppermint tea
licorice tea
tummy tamer tea and pretty much any tea for indigestion should be okay?

not sure about how this would totally effect your kidneys but i take a tiny bit of baking soda with water to neutralize acid.

moonglo82
on 10/10/12 2:44 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
Sounds like your surgeon's office and your nephrologist need to be coordinating your medications list between them.  I would call one office tomorrow and get them to call the other... just explain that you would rather the two of them agree on this than have to be the go-between. 

Good luck!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Greg M.
on 10/10/12 3:43 pm - Cincinnati, OH
Paula,

I don't tolerate Prevacid, or Prioselic well but Protonix doesn't bother me at all and it's very effective.  Maybe it's worth a try until you get further out.

Greg

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

tlpldy
on 10/10/12 11:10 pm
I agree about trying some different PPIs.  Everyone is different.  Pepcid..to me is really kinda mild.  I have taken Nexium for years and it works much better for me (even though they are supposed to be basically the same...who knows why).  Until I had tried all of the possible PPIs at a regular dosage, I would keep trying.  It may take a week or so on each to see how they effect you, but it is better than damaging your one remaining kidney by taking a higher dose than you need. 

There are lots of options.  Aciphex, Nexium, Pepcid, Prilosec, Omeprozole (even generics can effect you differently sometimes). 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 259 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views