Frustrated with both doctors!

Christine Heusinger
on 10/16/12 8:14 am - GA

My  surgeon wants me to have an EKG, an ultrasound of my gall bladder and a bloodtest. I just got a call from my PCP's nurse. He (PCP) doesn't want me to have all these tests until my insurance approves my surgery.  So now I have to call my surgeon's office to tell them that  bit of news.

Cinderella50
on 10/16/12 8:21 am - NY
VSG on 08/29/12
 Yes, it is very frustrating manuvering the doctors, insurance, approvals and juggling many appointments. But know you are working through a process and will get to the goal in the end. The process is there for a reason, even though while going through it you wi**** would just be done. Good luck, stay calm and patient, you will get there.

Antimony40
on 10/16/12 8:24 am - VA
VSG on 12/06/12 with

it's a fine line with doctor/insurance requirements--your insurance may not require all those items pre-approval, but your surgeon isn't going to let their folks (surgical coordinators, insurance perrson, etc.) do the work for a patience who isn't going to cooperate with all the testing requirements of the doctor...I think it's the surgeon's way to tell who's serious or not.

Do you know what the actual approval requirements are for the insurnace?  I don't think there's anything wrong with doing those, and maybe a few of the surgeon requirements (like a show of faith) all the while working on the insurance approvals...just a suggestion.

Last, it's not up to your PCP the timing/recommendation of the testing--while he may be giving you sound fiscal advice with regard to spending money on co-pays, etc., theres' no medical reason for him to tell you to delay the tests...

HW 286.7--SW 264.4--CW 184.2  M1-24.8//M2-14.8//M3-7.6//M4-10.0//M5-3.8//M6-8.4//M7-6.4//M8- 4.8//M9 +1

MollyE
on 10/16/12 8:43 am - NJ
VSG on 10/18/12
I did all the tests prior to getting approved, all the while only paying a copay.  If my insurance did not approve me I was going to self pay, and if I had to do that,  all my tests were done and paid for.  Thats how I looked at it.

Hislady
on 10/16/12 10:45 am - Vancouver, WA
My surgeon, like many wouldn't even submit my info to the insurance group for approval until I'd had all my testing done. I don't see why your PCP would discourage the testing, that doesn't really make sense since he isn't really involved with the approval process. Those really aren't unusual tests for preops.
Tamaraz
on 10/17/12 1:35 am - PA
 It is not your PCP's call on how your surgeon evaluates you for surgery. If the PCP won't write the prescription for the testing, ask if the surgeon will. If there is some reason the surgeon cannot order the tests, it is time to find a new PCP.
Christine Heusinger
on 10/17/12 1:42 am - GA

I called the surgeon's office this morning  to report what my PCP said and she said "well we'll send you for your tests to a different doctor".

So! I scheduled the ultrasound of my gallbladder without my PCP and I'll go to a different lab for my bloodwork.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 208 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 292 views