Annoyed with myself

jen_vsg_4me
on 10/18/12 3:08 am - Iaeger, WV
VSG on 01/23/13
I am pre-op. I'm supposed to be having surgery in November or December... as soon as I can get done with all the testing, I will get my date.

Anyway, I'm supposed to be trying to lose some weight before surgery. My surgeon said "any weight at all, even 5 or 10 pounds" to shrink my liver. Ever since he told me that, I've been eating like a maniac!  I tried, at first to do better, but I just went crazy. I keep thinking I better eat it now because I won't get to eat it for a long time.  I'm afraid to step on the scale because I know I've probably gained.

I know they will put me on a liquid diet before surgery, and I'll probably lose a little then but I feel terrible about how I'm eating right now... so today I decided to only do liquids... maybe just for a day or so to get myself in the right frame of mind. I know I have time to lose the 5 or 10 pounds he wants me to lose if I just get in control of myself now.

I told my family I was having a food funeral... but this is the longest funeral I've ever attended. I need to just bury it and move on!  :-/

My youtube channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/ShrinkingJenn

Surgery Date: January 23, 2013

Keith L.
on 10/18/12 3:15 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
Sounds like you have plenty of time. My suggestion would be this, enjoy the foods you really love while you can and start to work on portion control. Right now you can eat a whole plate or two of food but after you will only be able to eat about a cup or less. So start working on your mind now on 2 things: 1. eating less than you usually would or want to and 2. leaving some food on your plate when you are done. I was brought up to eat everything on my plate the the hardest time I am having right now is not finishing what I have.

Also as you get closer try to start eating less and less carbs because that is what you will need to get used to. Also try drinking a big glass of water about 10 mins before you sit down to eat and that will help too. You will be drinking lots of water from now on.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

susan1277
on 10/18/12 4:38 am - OH
RNY on 06/10/13 with
Great advice!
jenneferlm
on 10/18/12 3:15 am - TX
VSG on 09/21/12
Don't stress over it!  I did the same thing.  I also lost 16 pounds on my 10 day pre-op diet which was 5 days of soft foods, 3 days full liquids and 2 days clear liquids which was enough to shrink my liver.  If your surgeon is having you do a specific pre-op diet, then you should do just fine with that to lose the weight. Good luck!!

tlpldy
on 10/18/12 3:16 am
You are only creating more weight that you will have to lose later, but..I completely understand and gained a bit myself during the process.

The fact is, it is difficult to be motivated to lose right now, when you know it will be easier later. 

Don't beat yourself up, rememeber that you will likely be able to eat most everything you do now, eventually, but just in smaller portions and with better balance.  This isn't a change to suddenly deny you of every food you have ever loved, it is a change to make you healthier and happier......
MichelleLarra
on 10/18/12 3:36 am - NY
Hi Jen,

I'm also pre-op and have diabetes as well as high blood pressure.  I took a blood test in August and my A1C levels was 9.1 which is the highest I've ever had it so I started keeping a food log and it has truly helped me.  I find that writing down everything I eat (even if it's a Big Mac, etc. I'm honest about it) it keeps me more conscious of what I'm eating.   Don't beat yourself up about it as I am sure you will get back on track eventually.  Just have confidence in yourself and the rest will fall into place. 
vsgwife
on 10/18/12 3:50 am
VSG on 11/05/12
Hi Jen,

Don't be too hard on yourself.  Tomorrow is a new day!  My husband is having surgery November 5th.  We had our 1st NUT appt. on August 27th.  At that point, the NUT had us write down every bite that went into his mouth.  He had to start eating 5-6 small meals per day instead of fewer big meals.  That is not to say that he didn't eat pizza if he wanted to occassionally.  We have had food funerals for just the few, select things that he likes to eat in bulk.  LOL.  He has lost 14 pounds since that first NUT appt.  So, you can do it!!  It is a mind set!  You will be able to eat things again, just not in huge quantities.  Pick the things you really like, have them once before surgery, and try to establish a new pattern in between. :)  Message me if you need to  :)  Plus, our surgeon doesn't require a liquid pre-op diet, so whatever he loses up until surgery day will be it for now.

Kelly
ABetterMe54
on 10/18/12 4:10 am - MD
VSG on 01/30/13

Hi I started this process June 7th and I am waiting for my papers to be approved as well. I plan on having my surgery around the same time as you. Im new to this so sorry if it seems like im rambling lol. But I am having this same exact problem. I feel like the closer I get to the end of this journey to surgery I indugle more and more with CRAZY CARBS. I also was informed on the drinking water before you eat so that you dont consume so much food. And it truly works. But what it doesnt stop is the cravings. Im starting to believe its just a fear of change that I never knew I had. I so badly want this as the next person but ive learned that I have to gain more WILL POWER & DETERMINATION!!

I hope that my post lets you know that you are far from being alone. I get mad at myself all the time. But im starting to use this opportunity to get myself mentally prepared for the journey ahead.

mkate73
on 10/18/12 4:21 am - NC
VSG on 10/23/12
Hi Jen,
I'm scheduled to be sleeved on Tuesday, so I'm on the final leg of my pre-op diet -- hooray!!  When I was about two months out, my surgeon advised me to focus on a few small changes that he thought would have big results:

1. Get rid of caffine and soda
2. Start the day with more protein (I started doing a protein shake every morning at that point)
3. Drink water -- at least 60 oz a day
4. Walk every day, try for half an hour or more
5. No fried foods

He said that just doing those things would help me start making some of the changes that would be important after the surgery and that I would also lose weight.  I focused on incorporating one change every wee****il I had worked through the list; it didn't really feel like I was on a 'diet' when I made the changes one at a time.  I found that the protein in the morning and drinking more water made a big difference for me -- even though I pretty much ate what I wanted for lunch and supper, I tended to eat smaller portions and I DID lose weight without really trying (I lost 10 pounds in 6 weeks before starting the two week pre-op diet).  I also started logging my food/exercise on my fitness pal.

Hope this helps!
Metime12.
on 10/18/12 4:48 am
 I did exactly the same! Even worse! I didn't do anything to lose weight pre op because my doctor told me I didn't have to. I gained 20 pounds between the time I was approved by my insurance and the date I had the surgery, that was in a space of 3 months! I went on vacation to my home country and ate all my favorite foods as if indeed I was having a food funeral. I regret it now because jam having a tougher time mourning the food that I am missing so much! It just made my transition too abrupt and that I am finding difficult!
 These are the first days of the rest of my life. I feel like i have gone through a rebirth, with a second chance for a new life to live and a new me to treasure! I will remain on the losers bench for the rest of my  healthier life!         
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views