Supportless, Solo Sleever - Putting an action plan together - Rules? Comments? Tips? Ideas?

simmie78
on 10/31/12 10:05 pm

Hi All, so since I don't live in the US - things are a bit different in terms of preparedness and support.  So I'm doing this pretty much on my own and trying to mentally and physically prepare for next week!  Here's what I have so far - any tips/rules/ideas of anything I am missing, please let me know?  Some of this is from what I have picked up on the boards, some from my dr., some from the internet!  My sleeving is - Wednesday, November 7!!!

• Some rules/guidelines!
  1. On Saturday I am giving up caffeine, carbonated beverages and carbs (I've already been cutting back)
  2. 1-2 week liquid diet
  3. After clearance from dr and depending on how I feel - pureed foods (about week 2)
  4. No: carbonated beverages; straws; gulping
  5. Make sure to have 64 oz of water at a min to avoid dehydration - a sip every 15 min or so...
  6. 60 gm protein a day at a min. and around 40 gm carbs
  7. Try to eat 600-800 calories a day.
  8. Walk as much as possible in the first week to help with bloating/gas.  Working out can happen as soon as I have enough energy to do it!  Dr said after the first 2 weeks, but more likely after 4 weeks.
  9. Do not drink while eating!  Do not drink 30 minutes before eating or 1 hour after.
  10. Eat sloooowwwwly.

Things I have bought/already have that will come in handy:

1. Chicken broth, beef broth and veggie broth
  2. Immersion blender and puree(r) - shaker ball cup for protein shakes on the run/at work
  3. Protein Powder, I have a few different types including chocolate, vanilla, and unflavored
  4. Pre-made protein shakes in my office and at home for convenience and emergencies.
  5. SF popsicles, SF pudding (still looking for these but I think they will come in handy)
  6. Small spoons
  7. Small bowls
Keith L.
on 10/31/12 10:10 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Sounds like you got it right to me. If you search the board I posted my pre-op diet and my post-op guidelines a couple of weeks ago. Mine were on the strict side but it all worked out quite well. Your doctor may have a different plan and you should stick to what they say.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

LDallas
on 10/31/12 10:20 pm
VSG on 10/25/12
I am 7 dys post op. My fav things so far are immersion blender and tommy tippee baby cups. 4 to a pack, got at Target. They hold 4 oz. Measure 4 oz into them to see where the line is..for future reference. Make sure u hv a thermometer to tk your temp aft surg, if needed. Best to you!

SW (10/25/12)......303  size 24/26. Age 50

CW: 225  size 14/16

F/5'10"

Keith L.
on 10/31/12 10:27 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

As for support I have found this site to be fantastic. There are others, but this is the hands down best.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

jenngirl
on 10/31/12 10:43 pm
VSG on 06/25/12

Get a food scale!

Good luck!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/12 1:05 am

If you know even a little bit about cooking, I would strongly recommend making a chicken bullion from scratch.  It tastes so much better than the cans.  Just take one or two peeled onions, a few carrots, some celery, a few cloves or garlic, and a few pounds of skinless chicken breast and cover it with water (just enough water to cover the chicken and veggies).  Set to boil.  When it is almost cooked, add in a bunch of parsley and a bunch of dill.  I wrap each in string so that the bunches don't fall apart.  Add salt to taste, flavor with some lemon juice and enjoy.  It is so very soothing to have this instead of the stuff in the can after surgery.  It feels healing and nurturing to me to eat this.  It freezes well, so you can make a few batches before surgery.

simmie78
on 11/1/12 1:41 am
Excellent suggestion! I'll make it and freeze it this weekend!
emelar
on 11/1/12 1:58 am - TX

On the pre-op liquid diet, only do it if your doc requires it.  As far as I can tell, it's mostly a useless exercise in torture that many surgeons impose on their patients.  I know it's suppose to make the liver easier to deal with, but you can accomplish the same thing by going extreme low carb/low fat - basically lean protein and non-starchy vegetables.

On everything else, you look like you have it covered!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 106 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 384 views